3rd Class medical going off BP medication

charris911

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
charris911
Received my 3rd Class Medical last year, previously had high BP, jumped thru all the hoops, and got the medical issued. Took flight lessons, got my PPL last October.

During this time, exercised and dieted...dropped from 245 (was 275 when I was diagnosed with high BP, 8-years ago) to now 190 lbs, and my BP went down significantly (no suprise). Switched to the AME as my regular doctor, and have steadily reduced my BP medication dosage, now going off of it completly. I take my BP daily, and will be going back into the AME every month for six months to be sure, there is not a spike.

The doc, said its no problem going off, my QUESTION is what happens in 4-years when I go back in for my medical, (let's assume its a different AME). I guess, I will have to put yes, for previous high BP, but not taking medication. This AME said he will put a letter in my chart.

Weekend, hobby flyer. Thanks all!

Received my 3rd Class Medical last year, previously had high BP, jumped thru all the hoops, and got the medical issued. Took flight lessons, got my PPL last October.

During this time, exercised and dieted...dropped from 245 (was 275 when I was diagnosed with high BP, 8-years ago) to now 190 lbs, and my BP went down significantly (no suprise). Switched to the AME as my regular doctor, and have steadily reduced my BP medication dosage, now going off of it completly. I take my BP daily, and will be going back into the AME every month for six months to be sure, there is not a spike.

The doc, said its no problem going off, my QUESTION is what happens in 4-years when I go back in for my medical, (let's assume its a different AME). I guess, I will have to put yes, for previous high BP, but not taking medication. This AME said he will put a letter in my chart.

Weekend, hobby flyer. Thanks all!

Congratulations, way to go. 85 lbs. is no joke, how did you do it?

Fantastic!! Congratulations! Great job and kudos for taking the initiative to make a lifestyle change.

Switched to the AME as my regular doctor

I've always advised against this. I'll be interested to see what Dr. Bruce has to say about whether or not this is a good idea.

Well, I really wanted to be able to fly comfortably with a passenger, and not be sweating the w/b every flight. Diet and exercise...I really wanted to fly...I kept a visual 6lbs=1 gallon fuel.

Just curious, at my next medical, after I check "yes" for previous BP, but now no longer on the medication...and I going to have to jump thru all the hoops again? Let's assume, its a different AME. Would this letter from my current doctor/AME be sufficient saying, I'm "cured" from high BP...don't know what the wording will be in the letter?

Is there a "not valid for any class after" restriction? If not, 4 years from now you'll just go for a regular medical.... :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back