3rd class medical - first time questions

D

dh1

Hi everyone,

I'm in my 30s and have been contemplating starting my path toward my private pilot certificate for some time. I'm planning to start looking for an instructor and possibly starting lessons at some point next year. I know that getting the 3rd class medical certificate should be the first step in the process. Overall I've been fortunate to have good health and am very active (running and cycling). I've had a few minor issues over the years which I believe may be reportable:

I have an 'ongoing condition' entered on my medical record by a former primary care doctor of "Raynaud's phenomenon without gangrene." During an annual routine physical 5 years ago I told my doctor I occasionally get some numbness in random fingertips when exposed to cold weather. I can make it go away by flexing my fingers and hands, and it's completely avoided by wearing thin tactile gloves whenever it is cool and damp. I basically self-diagnosed myself and told him that it sounded like Raynaud's. I've never had any issues with dexterity when I've had the fingertip numbness, and it's more of an annoyance than anything. I was never prescribed any medication or treatment for this (at the time, the doctor just said he could explore medication options if it bothered me enough). There is nothing noted in my medical record other than the diagnosis code, and I've never had any sort of test or anything else performed for this. Am I going to need any special documentation or testing for this?

I have had elevated blood triglyceride and total cholesterol levels as of my past two lab tests. My primary care doctor recommended no action at that time and said that it was not currently a concern due to my age. I couldn't find an item in the AME guide related to cholesterol, but I may have missed it. Any issue here?

I've never had a hospital admission, but have been to the ER three times, twice for soft tissue injuries (sprains) from work related injuries, and once for mononucleosis. This was about 7-8 years ago. Are these reportable and do I need to get these records?

I see a dermatologist regularly for annual skin exams, as preventive medicine. I've had 4 spots on my skin removed for biopsy which were determined to be "atypical moles" on the pathology report (no cancer). Should I have a copy of these records?

I've had COVID-19 and fully recovered with mild respiratory symptoms. I never saw a doctor while I had it and was never prescribed any medications. Do I need a record of the positive PCR test result? Is there anything that I mentioned that would be cause for me to request an AME consultation only before the actual exam?

I apologize if I'm asking anything that has already been answered. There is a lot to digest in this forum, and I appreciate it as it is a great resource.

Thanks for any help or input.

Perhaps the best way to get definitive answers is to schedule a "consultation" with an FAA Aviation Medical Examiner. This is not the exam itself, but a way to find out if there are any issues that may be problematic.

Another way is to join AOPA and to consult by phone with their medical people. They can answer questions like yours.

Triglycerides and cholesterol are not required to report or are a reason for normal FAA medical consideration. If you have any cardiac condition that requires an FAA consideration, the FAA will require the cholesterol numbers as they review all the factors in your case.

Here is the guide for AME regarding Raynauds.
https://www.faa.gov/ame_guide/app_process/exam_tech/item37/amd

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm in my 30s and have been contemplating starting my path toward my private pilot certificate for some time. I'm planning to start looking for an instructor and possibly starting lessons at some point next year. I know that getting the 3rd class medical certificate should be the first step in the process. Overall I've been fortunate to have good health and am very active (running and cycling). I've had a few minor issues over the years which I believe may be reportable:

I have an 'ongoing condition' entered on my medical record by a former primary care doctor of "Raynaud's phenomenon without gangrene." During an annual routine physical 5 years ago I told my doctor I occasionally get some numbness in random fingertips when exposed to cold weather. I can make it go away by flexing my fingers and hands, and it's completely avoided by wearing thin tactile gloves whenever it is cool and damp. I basically self-diagnosed myself and told him that it sounded like Raynaud's. I've never had any issues with dexterity when I've had the fingertip numbness, and it's more of an annoyance than anything. I was never prescribed any medication or treatment for this (at the time, the doctor just said he could explore medication options if it bothered me enough). There is nothing noted in my medical record other than the diagnosis code, and I've never had any sort of test or anything else performed for this. Am I going to need any special documentation or testing for this?

I have had elevated blood triglyceride and total cholesterol levels as of my past two lab tests. My primary care doctor recommended no action at that time and said that it was not currently a concern due to my age. I couldn't find an item in the AME guide related to cholesterol, but I may have missed it. Any issue here?

I've never had a hospital admission, but have been to the ER three times, twice for soft tissue injuries (sprains) from work related injuries, and once for mononucleosis. This was about 7-8 years ago. Are these reportable and do I need to get these records?

I see a dermatologist regularly for annual skin exams, as preventive medicine. I've had 4 spots on my skin removed for biopsy which were determined to be "atypical moles" on the pathology report (no cancer). Should I have a copy of these records?

I've had COVID-19 and fully recovered with mild respiratory symptoms. I never saw a doctor while I had it and was never prescribed any medications. Do I need a record of the positive PCR test result? Is there anything that I mentioned that would be cause for me to request an AME consultation only before the actual exam?

I apologize if I'm asking anything that has already been answered. There is a lot to digest in this forum, and I appreciate it as it is a great resource.

Thanks for any help or input.
None of these things should be an issue, but the best course of action is to have a consultation with the AME before the exam. ER visits aren't admissions, but you'll report any diagnosis ever, and all visits to medical professionals in the past three years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back