3rd Class Medical Exemption

Two years and seven months. They have already said, "This is a very low priority for us. Do not expect a reply".

The point is, had we gone the Aussie route, we'd have it by now. 3200 lbs, 180 hp, day VFR, fixed gear, fixed prop <10,000 on the equivalent of an aussie GP signoff......(state CDL).

Two years and seven months. They have already said, "This is a very low priority for us. Do not expect a reply".

The point is, had we gone the Aussie route, we'd have it by now. 3200 lbs, 180 hp, day VFR, fixed gear, fixed prop <10,000 on the equivalent of an aussie GP signoff......(state CDL).

Not much of an improvement Bruce. The issue remains why a pilot needs a medical examination to fly a small slow airplane on a sunny day. There isn't a shred of data to suggest a risk that's solved by the third class medical. You know that as well as I. The FAA should have to justify its policies to us, not the other way around. A pity the organizations couldn't get a couple Congresscritters breathing down the administrator's neck about this.

I know it burns to be ignored when you're right, but the associations and their officers had a point.

The FAA should have to justify its policies to us, not the other way around. A pity the organizations couldn't get a couple Congresscritters breathing down the administrator's neck about this.

I agree. It would seem to me any lobbying organization worth its salt with the resources they seem to have would have a congressman or two able to rattle someones cage to at least get an answer. (This is why they don't have any of my money)

I would also like to see if there is a denial what the path is to accomplish this. It would seem to me, particularly when we are trying to cut budgets,that short of justifying jobs at the FAA there should need to be some standard by which these decisions are made.

I agree. It would seem to me any lobbying organization worth its salt with the resources they seem to have would have a congressman or two able to rattle someones cage to at least get an answer. (This is why they don't have any of my money)

Me too. AOPA claims to be this big-time lobbying organization, but the only congresscritter to do anything substantial for GA only did so because of his own idiot blunder, and not because any of the alphabet associations asked him to.

Not much of an improvement Bruce. The issue remains why a pilot needs a medical examination to fly a small slow airplane on a sunny day. There isn't a shred of data to suggest a risk that's solved by the third class medical. You know that as well as I. The FAA should have to justify its policies to us, not the other way around. A pity the organizations couldn't get a couple Congresscritters breathing down the administrator's neck about this.

I know it burns to be ignored when you're right, but the associations and their officers had a point.
I go for what is achievable, not this "charge of the Light Brigade stuff".
Right now there isn't a county in the world that doesn't require a medical of some sort. American LSA is noncompliant with ICAO.....that's why you can't take the Remos to the Bahamas, even though it will do it just fine.

Five years after the petition, we got to the point where now you don't have to contravene your psychiatrist's preference to keep you on the antidepressive, e.g, be less well, after you have recovered from depression. I don't have five more to give away.

Right now there isn't a county in the world that doesn't require a medical of some sort. American LSA is noncompliant with ICAO.....that's why you can't take the Remos to the Bahamas, even though it will do it just fine.

Five years after the petition, we got to the point where now you don't have to contravene your psychiatrist's preference to keep you on the antidepressive, e.g, be less well, after you have recovered from depression. I don't have five more to give away.

Is sounds like AOPA tried to get the medical exemption for Rec Pilot; and they confirmed this when I called. How is this different from what you are advocating?

But here's the thing. The ICAO rules are a failure. There is very little GA activity outside the US. So should we be imitating them, or blazing trails of our own? Given the near nonexistence of GA outside North America, I say go our own way and tell the rest to stuff it. If the worst of this is I can't fly to the Bahamas, I'll live.

But here's the thing. The ICAO rules are a failure. There is very little GA activity outside the US. So should we be imitating them, or blazing trails of our own? Given the near nonexistence of GA outside North America, I say go our own way and tell the rest to stuff it. If the worst of this is I can't fly to the Bahamas, I'll live.
Okay Professor. Write the petition. Be prepared to make many trips to 800 Pennsylvania Av to support it.

Okay Professor. Write the petition. Be prepared to make many trips to 800 Pennsylvania Av to support it.

I think you mean 800 Independence Ave.
That said, the FAA is probably the wrong target for such efforts. One would need to effect changes in the statutes that the FAA is required to follow. Right now NBAA claims there are congressmen working to make changes to the recently passed Pilots Bill of Rights and it seems to me there is no reason some more changes to medical certification can't also be made part of those same efforts:

http://www.nbaa.org/events/forums/2...lain-enhance-expand-pilots-bill-of-rights.php

Actually, you can fly an LSA to the Bahamas, the government there wants tourist dollars.

why the hate for light sport bruce?

by the way, was the AOPA/EAA proposal to allow existing recreational pilots to fly with a CDL only or would it have covered potential new pilots?

why the hate for light sport bruce?

by the way, was the AOPA/EAA proposal to allow existing recreational pilots to fly with a CDL only or would it have covered potential new pilots?
That's totally unfair. That doesn't even deserve a comment.

There was no aopa proposal for CDL. WE were AOPA's inhouse "experts", and strongly advocated the aussie approach. Get educated. They got it, summer of 2012. We would have had it also. 180 hp day VFR 2 ukp, <10K and fixed gear/prop.

But Craig said, "not radical enough". "doesn't look like enough, to the membership".
See what radical gets you? SQUAT.

You sir, are wasting my energy. There's is always someone on these boards who doesn't read the whole string and posts out of ignorance. And hate. And they're always anon when they take the potshot.

It took me 5 years and many trips to Washington to get the SSRI Special (2006-2011) authorized. I don't have that many more to spend. And if you think I'm obligated YOU HAVE ANOTHER THING COMING.

Have you ever wrested anything out of the FAA? If you have, identify yourself and let us know what that was. Otherwise, sit down and ST_U.

Last edited:
Have you ever wrested anything out of the FAA? If you have, identify yourself and let us know what that was. Otherwise, sit down and ST_U.

There is something to be said for a more measured approach consisting of smaller gains. I can easily see both sides of this. I imagine AOPA would have gone the CDL route had they other solid legislative successes under their belt. I truly don't think they had the confidence of their membership to take a longer view.

That's totally unfair. That doesn't even deserve a comment.

There was no aopa proposal for CDL. WE were AOPA's inhouse "experts", and strongly advocated the aussie approach. Get educated. They got it, summer of 2012. We would have had it also. 180 hp day VFR 2 ukp, <10K and fixed gear/prop.

But Craig said, "not radical enough". "doesn't look like enough, to the membership".
See what radical gets you? SQUAT.

You sir, are wasting my energy. There's is always someone on these boards who doesn't read the whole string and posts out of ignorance. And hate. And they're always anon when they take the potshot.

It took me 5 years and many trips to Washington to get the SSRI Special (2006-2011) authorized. I don't have that many more to spend. And if you think I'm obligated YOU HAVE ANOTHER THING COMING.

Dr Bruce, I apologize if I offended you. That was not my intention. I misunderstood your comment about "charge of the Light Brigade" to be an expression of some frustration with light sport aviation and was seeking clarification. I'll admit, my inquiry came off harshly and for that, as well as offending you, I offer my sincerest apologies.

Folks, the "unregistered" feature in Medical Matters and Lessons Learned is there to protect those with a sensitive medical or enforcement question. It shouldn't be used to hide behind when having discussions with other posters.

The anon "apology" is well and good, but if he'd never read the poem, he could have googled it and "got it".

The Charge of the Light Brigade is a poem by Afred Lord Tennyson which memorializes the utter waste of gallant men into the cannon fire.

The Charge Of The Light Brigade

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]by Alfred, Lord Tennyson[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Memorializing Events in the Battle of Balaclava, October 25, 1854[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Written 1854[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Half a league half a league, [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Half a league onward, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All in the valley of Death [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rode the six hundred: [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'Forward, the Light Brigade! [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Charge for the guns' he said: [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Into the valley of Death [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rode the six hundred. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'Forward, the Light Brigade!' [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Was there a man dismay'd ? [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not tho' the soldier knew [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some one had blunder'd: [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Theirs not to make reply, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Theirs not to reason why, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Theirs but to do & die, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Into the valley of Death [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rode the six hundred. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cannon to right of them, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cannon to left of them, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cannon in front of them [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Volley'd & thunder'd; [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Storm'd at with shot and shell, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Boldly they rode and well, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Into the jaws of Death, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Into the mouth of Hell [/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Flash'd all their sabres bare, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Flash'd as they turn'd in air [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sabring the gunners there, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Charging an army while [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All the world wonder'd: [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Plunged in the battery-smoke [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Right thro' the line they broke; [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cossack & Russian [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reel'd from the sabre-stroke,[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shatter'd & sunder'd. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Then they rode back, but not [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not the six hundred. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cannon to right of them, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cannon to left of them, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cannon behind them [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Volley'd and thunder'd; [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Storm'd at with shot and shell, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]While horse & hero fell, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They that had fought so well [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Came thro' the jaws of Death, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Back from the mouth of Hell, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All that was left of them, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Left of six hundred. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When can their glory fade? [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]O the wild charge they made! [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All the world wonder'd. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Honour the charge they made! [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Honour the Light Brigade, [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Noble six hundred![/FONT][/SIZE]

Our Anon needs to at least look up the reference, or be literate before he dumps on me.

I have no energy left for futile, "gallant", "looks good but results in c_ap" outcomes. No thank you Craig. "g'bye Craig, you a__hole."

And for our Anon, I have no problem with Light Sport. But advocates have to be smart. Failing that, at least use google.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back