3rd Class Medical Denied (Re-thinking my next steps)

Stegoo_86

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Stego_86
To sum it up, I was deferred for being on Zoloft. I came here, learned what I needed to do, and started the process. I met with a HIMS AME and was linked up. Took my COGScreen AE exam, I gathered all the records from my BCP and therapist and had them sent to my HIMS AME. Unfortunately, we didn't get my records out in time, as I just received my denial letter today.

To be honest, I kinda feel relieved. I've been having a lot of communication issues with my HIMS AME (I feel that they're just really busy.) But they also told me that the time request was arbitrary and that it didn't really matter. This appears to not be true. I also didn't do the best on my Cog Screen AE. I was stressed and very tired by the time I took the exam. The whole thing felt like a punishment for getting proper mental health treatment. I wasn't depressed, I was just adjusting to the loss of my mother, plus some financial issues. I sought out a therapist, and after a few years, decided to seek help with medication to assist with some mild anxiety issues.

I admit, I didn't do my research on any of this, which isn't within my nature. I'm an analyst and research everything, but I just got excited to be flying again and went straight in without any consultation (Def advise if you have questions about this process to NEVER do what I did.) I could have applied for a basic med and been fine, but now I'm here, so I'm looking to what's next.

The denial letter clearly states that I can re-apply as long as I provide the documents request. I also know that I can take the COG Exam again, as the FAA requires "current" records. I feel that maybe I should gather my bearings, look at a few HIMS AMEs in the surrounding areas and start making some calls. I feel that if I can have all of this sorted and ready to go that the next time around will be a bit more smooth.

Any idea if I should stick it out for now? Or should I reset and look for another doctor?

*I also know that I'll have to explain in writing to the FAA why my medical was denied, but I feel like I can explain that pretty well.

Yes, that is correct. I'm a PPL who had a previous class 3 medical. I stopped flying for around 15 years and wanted to get back into it.
Unfortunately there's a time limit - you must have had the previous class X within the last 10 years.

Unfortunately there's a time limit - you must have had the previous class X within the last 10 years.

No, that’s a common misconception. There is no “10 year look back.” You must have had a medical that was active after July 14, 2006. The look back gets longer every year.

Negative. You must have had a valid medical anytime since July 14, 2006. There's no rolling 10 years.
Advantage of POA....always someone who knows the correct answer. Where did I get the 10 years?

Since there is a denial, the lookback is irrelevant now. However it's possible BasicMed was on the table for you.

If you want to fly, the only path is to reapply and go through the protocol. You should work with a knowledge AME in a consult arrangement. If the person you're already working is reasonable and knowledgeable, get the testing done, understand that you've passed it. Then reapply and submit everything when you do. If the paperwork is in order, it should go through with a deferral and some time later you'll get a happier letter.

Just to clarify, I had an active medical after July 14th, 2006. So basic med would have been a path for me, but that's neither here nor there any longer. I just have to move forward.

Since there is a denial, the lookback is irrelevant now. However it's possible BasicMed was on the table for you.

If you want to fly, the only path is to reapply and go through the protocol. You should work with a knowledge AME in a consult arrangement. If the person you're already working is reasonable and knowledgeable, get the testing done, understand that you've passed it. Then reapply and submit everything when you do. If the paperwork is in order, it should go through with a deferral and sometime later you'll get a happier letter.

Thank you, this was what I was looking for, a little encouragement. I appreciate your feedback, and I feel this would be the best thing. Just re-focus and give it another go. I know that I will get through it eventually and receive that SI that I need.

Thanks again for the words of advice!

You need to persevere, if you are not up to it, then don't bother.

You know why you were denied, you didn't get things done in time, it may not be your fault, but whatever, you need to move on. Your doc told you the time requirements are arbitrary and meaningless, he knows. That doesn't mean that if you don't make they deadline you won't get denied as you have found , it means that if you keep at it they will finish out the process and approve you if you meet the standards.

It's not a punishment, it's a test to see if you are up to being a safe pilot. In my opinion it's better to treat it as an obstacle to overcome than a punishment to endure, that change in attitude may make going through the process a little easier for you.

Last edited:
You need to persevere, if you are not up to it, then don't bother.

You know why you were denied, you didn't get things done in time, it may not be your fault, but whatever, you need to move on. Your doc told you the time requirements are arbitrary and meaningless, he knows. That doesn't mean that if you don't make they deadline you won't get denied as you have found it, it means that if you keep at it they will finish out the process and approve you if you meet the standards.

It's not a punishment, it's a test to see if you are up to being a safe pilot. In my opinion it's better to treat it as an obstacle to overcome than a punishment to endure, that change in attitude may make going through the process a little easier for you.

This is a great perspective and is something I needed to hear. Thank you, I'll be sure to view it in that manner, this is sound advice.

It's not a punishment, it's a test to see if you are up to being a safe pilot.

I would respectfully disagree. It’s merely an administrative thing.

Girlfriends with teeny tiny little white pills in their purses and medicine cabinets give little passive aggressive tests.

The FAA with all their problems doesn’t appear to have institutional bi polar disorder thank goodness!

Being able to cope with a bad AME (if that’s what happened) no more makes you a safe pilot than if you woefully screwed up your own FAA medical paperwork (if that’s what happened) makes you an unsafe pilot.

This process is administrative. It requires PRECISE administration, not the ability to read the mind of the FAA or find hidden meaning to explain seemingly senseless things.

In some administrative context, it all makes sense. In an aviation context, or practically ANY other context, not so much...

Keep in mind FAA administration appears to be fairly risk adverse. With more of a CYA bias than safety conservatism.

I would respectfully disagree. It’s merely an administrative thing.

Girlfriends with teeny tiny little white pills in their purses and medicine cabinets give little passive aggressive tests.

The FAA with all their problems doesn’t appear to have institutional bi polar disorder thank goodness!

Being able to cope with a bad AME (if that’s what happened) no more makes you a safe pilot than if you woefully screwed up your own FAA medical paperwork (if that’s what happened) makes you an unsafe pilot.

This process is administrative. It requires PRECISE administration, not the ability to read the mind of the FAA or find hidden meaning to explain seemingly senseless things.

In some administrative context, it all makes sense. In an aviation context, or practically ANY other context, not so much...

Keep in mind FAA administration appears to be fairly risk adverse. With more of a CYA bias than safety conservatism.

Well, the end result is the same. The professionals you are dealing with can absolutely sense someone who is upset at the process and feels punished versus someone who just sees an obstacle to be overcome and works to overcome it.

And how you deal with less than ideal conditions absolutely defines how good of a pilot you will be/are. Someone who feels they are being punished by some adversity is not going to react as well as someone who positively deals with adversity.

The bottom line is the OP has some issues he needs to deal with. Whether the problems dealing with the FAA to address these issues are due to bureaucratic excess or a process designed to test the applicants meddle is irrelevant, dwelling on it doesn't help. Working through it positively does.

I also believe when people are asking for help with this type of stuff, it is not really a great time to talk about any perceived unfairness of the system, that discussion should be held elsewhere as it doesn't help the OP.

Following up on Palmpilot's post -

Public Law 114-190, section 2307(a)(2) - The individual holds a medical certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration on the date of enactment of this Act, held such a certificate at any point during the 10-year period preceding such date of enactment, or obtains such a certificate after such date of enactment;

It's a common enough misconception that it's in the FAA's FAQ.

More specifically,

Q9: Do I have to always “hold or have held a medical certificate” in the past 10 years?
A: No. There is no 10-year requirement, or a 10-year “look-back”. You only need to have held a medical certificate at any point after July 14, 2006. If you meet that provision, then you never have to hold a medical certificate again to operate under BasicMed, unless you develop one of the conditions identified in 14 CFR 68.9 that require you to get a special issuance (i.e., psychosis, epilepsy, heart replacement, etc.).

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/media/basicmed_faq.pdf

I sent forms in late (pandemic distracted me) and they processed normally (other than the months long backlog I had to wait through)

good luck OP!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back