3rd class Medical and VA disability

jmp470

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John
how does it work if your 100% Va disabled? Do you claim everything on the Va disability?

Just answer the questions honestly. If your particular disability is disqualifying, then you cant get a medical.

I am 100% service connected and stated such from 2004 until 2015 when I did my last Class III. I checked the block yes at whatever point that question was added. It was never an issue in and or itself, but I had some conditions which were listed separately which caused me to end up with a Special Issuance in 2015. I've since gone BasicMed.

The topic of VA benefits and third class medical was discussed on the AOPA forum. But I'm not finding the thread.

So I'm pinging @bbchien, Dr. Bruce Chien so he can see this thread and provide his comments and insight.

I did find this in the AME guide....

Questioni 18y asks if the applicant is receiving medical disability benefits... So @jmp470 ... you will need to check yes on this. Then the AME will ask you for details regarding what disability is and the extent it affects your ability to safely operate an aircraft.

From this, I am going to infer that what the disability is, and to what extent it affects flying, may trigger additional requirements to earn a third class medical certificate. For example, if the disability is something physical, the FAA might ask for additional documentation to show you can safely ingress and egress an airplane and also manipulate the flight controls without any issues. If it was something psychological, such as PTSD, then the FAA might want some testing to know that you won't wig out unexpectedly.

So it definitely is in your favor to find out all about how your "100% VA Disability" is going to affect your ability to be granted a medical. Doing a consultation with the right AME is a good start.

If you want to know some tips on how to do a consultation with an AME, check out this post... https://tinyurl.com/ame-consult

Thanks Mike. That's what I thought... and what I have gathered... I was just looking for a double look. This is where LSA comes into play. But, I'm torn with wanting fly helicopters.

Having a military disability is not automatically disqualifying. Rather, individual conditions will be evaluated.

Just answer the questions honestly. If your particular disability is disqualifying, then you cant get a medical.

None of my disabilities are disqualifying. But, I realize that I will have to do more tests to show that... And that's where I'm not sure if it is worth it to me.

None of my disabilities are disqualifying. But, I realize that I will have to do more tests to show that... And that's where I'm not sure if it is worth it to me.
A lot depends on what the specific 'disabilities' are.

Sleep Apnea for example is typically automatically 50% disability. You can get a medical with OSA, but you would need a special issuance that isn't that hard to do. Might cost you an extra co-pay to visit your doc.

Something like bone spurs or other foot or joint problems might not require any further effort other than the AME saying you are good to go.

Then there are things like some cardio or neurological issues where the FAA folks in OKC can get down right stupid and demand archaic and expensive tests that many in the medical community question their validity in the first place.

The best thing you could do is consult an AME like Dr Bruce Chien and be up front with the conditions and ask him what would be needed to obtain a Third Class medical.

Sleep Apnea for example is typically automatically 50% disability. You can get a medical with OSA, but you would need a special issuance that isn't that hard to do. Might cost you an extra co-pay to visit your doc.

Something like bone spurs or other foot or joint problems might not require any further effort other than the AME saying you are good to go.

Then there are things like some cardio or neurological issues where the FAA folks in OKC can get down right stupid and demand archaic and expensive tests that many in the medical community question their validity in the first place.

The best thing you could do is consult an AME like Dr Bruce Chien and be up front with the conditions and ask him what would be needed to obtain a Third Class medical.

Fearless Tower, thanks for the response... To be totally honest, I think the biggest factor is I'm tired of dealing with bureaucracies.

Had a neighbor who received a 100% VA disability yet held a first class for his captains position with northwest.

I guess its a function of this:

VA_vs_FAA.jpg

.....snip...

Mine wasn't a bone spur, but some pretty severe fractures I had suffered. I walked with a pretty significant limp due to a bad ankle, but AME simply watched me walk and deemed me passable. He also didn't seem concerned about the spinal fusion as I was able to move, bend and perform satisfactorily to the AME. Some breathing issues and OSA were the items which ultimately caused my SI, but I had already had the Pulmonary Functions Test and CPAP regime for sufficient time with all associated paper work. My PFT was less than AME could approve, but was within OKC approvable limits. The CPAP automatically threw me in SI territory anyway. AME deferred as expected (I had done a prior consult) and provided everything needed, but one letter from one doctor saying he felt I was fit to fly. Proivded that and SI was issued a couple of week later.

Venn dah diagram does not verk, you MUST choose your own set of data.

actually the 2 circles should touch, but not cross!

How so ?

There is stuff the VA considers disabling that the FAA doesn't worry about under a 'sudden incapacitation' aspect. There are other things the FAA gets all bent out of shape over that wouldn't give you a VA disability. Then there are conditions that fall into both circles.

How so ?

There is stuff the VA considers disabling that the FAA doesn't worry about under a 'sudden incapacitation' aspect. There are other things the FAA gets all bent out of shape over that wouldn't give you a VA disability. Then there are conditions that fall into both circles.
Yep. Just PTSD would make them overlap.

Yep. Just PTSD would make them overlap.

We'll, that's why I drew the circles with an overlap. A bone spur may keep you from marching 8 hrs, but it won't bother the FAA. PTSD would fit into the purple part thats a no-go for both.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back