3rd Class Medical after Heart Surgery

Justin Inglett

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ji00346
Just trying to get a little guidance as to the most efficient way to navigate getting what I assume will be a special issuance certificate.

I’ve been floating around the idea of getting my PPL for a few month now. For Christmas, I was gifted basically half the cost, prepaid at a local flight school. Obviously being excited I start researching and got into the medical portion. I have clear disqualifying conditions. I had a Ross Procedure (aortic valve replacement) in 1998 when I was 10. I had an aortic root replacement, which is a common follow up procedure need on approximately 50% of Ross Procedures, in 2017. Never had an medical limitations. No medicine outside of a daily baby aspirin. I get annual checkups which I get echocardiograms to make sure everything still looks good in there.

I guess know that information, what’s my most efficient approach? From what I’ve read it seems like it can take 6 or so months to navigate getting the special issuance certificate. I assume it would make sense to delay training until I find out if I am granted a special issuance.

Any guidance would be amazing.

Just trying to get a little guidance as to the most efficient way to navigate getting what I assume will be a special issuance certificate.

I’ve been floating around the idea of getting my PPL for a few month now. For Christmas, I was gifted basically half the cost, prepaid at a local flight school. Obviously being excited I start researching and got into the medical portion. I have clear disqualifying conditions. I had a Ross Procedure (aortic valve replacement) in 1998 when I was 10. I had an aortic root replacement, which is a common follow up procedure need on approximately 50% of Ross Procedures, in 2017. Never had an medical limitations. No medicine outside of a daily baby aspirin. I get annual checkups which I get echocardiograms to make sure everything still looks good in there.

I guess know that information, what’s my most efficient approach? From what I’ve read it seems like it can take 6 or so months to navigate getting the special issuance certificate. I assume it would make sense to delay training until I find out if I am granted a special issuance.

Any guidance would be amazing.
Have you checked out FAA’s guidance on valve replacements?

I don’t think it will be an issue, but you’ll have to have your case reviews by OKC. Work with your AME to provide them the necessary documentation at the time of your application.

I had open heart surgery in 1981 and made it through the FAA medical process enough times. It’s not insurmountable given appropriate cardiology follow up and documentation.

Have you checked out FAA’s guidance on valve replacements?

I don’t think it will be an issue, but you’ll have to have your case reviews by OKC. Work with your AME to provide them the necessary documentation at the time of your application.

I have. It very much seems to be geared towards surgeries and recoveries today versus surgery from 23 years ago. I just want to ensure I’m doing things the most efficient way possible and not doing anything to complicate the process.

I had an AVR done, Dr Bruce helped me thru it and now I fly basic med. You will need some tests done, a good AME will know.

Are you a member of AOPA?

Their Pilot Information Center, specifically the medical certification side, helped me many years ago obtain lots of answers of how things need to be for a smooth certification process.

Calling them might help you determine what documentation is needed and what requirements to expect to show that all is well today and you meet the standards.

I have. It very much seems to be geared towards surgeries and recoveries today versus surgery from 23 years ago. I just want to ensure I’m doing things the most efficient way possible and not doing anything to complicate the process.

Read it again. Everything you need to provide is spelled out. Provide what they ask for and not one word more. Print that page and show it to your cardiologist. It’s not a big deal but it will take some time.

The Ross procedure is categorized as a dual valve replacement. FAA has just recently starting doing these (yes, for the policy change, 2015 is "recent").

All your records.
Current bubble echo
CT chest (you had aortic work done)
Stress treadmill (+max heart rate echo)
Current CVE lab
Current cardiolosits' evaluation
Baseline EKG
24 hour Holter rhythm monitor

Dr Bruce

I had a aortic valve replacement done in 2010 at Duke Med. I have what they call the “Mini” which is where they got in between the ribs and do not splint the rib cage open. I have a Echo every year at Duke and my valve is perfect. I had a 2 class Medical in 1996. I want to fly again and would like to get a 3rd class med. Think it is attainable?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back