3rd class HIMS-SI to BasicMed - any reason not to?

LowHrsMan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LowHrsMan
So I finally got my 3rd class HIMS SI medical in August after 15 months of back and forth with the FAA. HIMS is required for SSRI usage only; no DUI, substance abuse, etc. I also have SI for loss of kidney function (stable), history of DVTs (10+ yrs ago), warfarin (due to DVTs), and ulcerative colitis. SSRI dosage and treatment has been stable for 10+ years.

My 3rd class expires end of Nov. I can either go to my HIMS AME and get 6 more months, which is doable but a pain. My psychiatrist prescribing the SSRI needs to review my complete FAA medical file (last time it took 2+ months to get that from OKC!), which the psychiatrist is luke warm about, and then send a report to the AME every 6 months. Normally I only see the psychiatrist yearly. Then there's the annual reports from the kidney doc, GI doc, and primary doc for the warfarin / INR results, and so on and so on. Then there's repeating the neuro assessment every 2 years. In short, a lot of stuff.

Or I can just switch to basic med once my 3rd class expires in about 6 weeks.

Is there any reason I should NOT just to switch to basic med and be done with it?

The only reasons I can think are: 1) flying outside the U.S. requires a 3rd class, and 2) getting a another SI if a new disqualifying medical condition were to arise might be much more problematic or impossible.

LowHrsMan

1) flying outside the U.S. requires a 3rd class,

Mexico and the Bahamas are good with Basic Med. I've spoken to folks from other Carib destinations who say it's a non-issue, though there's nothing formal that I'm aware of. Know before you go.

2) getting a another SI if a new disqualifying medical condition were to arise might be much more problematic or impossible.

Only an issue if the condition is on the list of a handful of things that require it for Basic Med. Many conditions do not (sleep apnea, for example). And you could always switch to flying LSAs under SP rules without a medical or Basic.

Mexico and the Bahamas are good with Basic Med. I've spoken to folks from other Carib destinations who say it's a non-issue, though there's nothing formal that I'm aware of. Know before you go.
Good to know, thanks! I was specifically thinking of Canada, which is not good with BM AFAIK.

+1 to what Half Fast said.

Only a handful of medical conditions would need another SI under basicmed. Which everyone would have to go through regardless of previous history.

Sure would be nice if Canada though...

Yeah, it would be nice if Canada would come around, but so far the FAA won't recognize one of Canada's medical qualification, so they won't recognize Basic. Maybe someday....

Also the decision relies on if you are at the age of potentially getting a stent (cardiac). The minor pain of six monthly maintenance vs the MAJOR pain of starting over again if you need to get a cardiac SI......is considerable.

Also the decision relies on if you are at the age of potentially getting a stent (cardiac). The minor pain of six monthly maintenance vs the MAJOR pain of starting over again if you need to get a cardiac SI......is considerable.
Thanks doc, I was hoping you would comment.
Given that I'm 55 with no history or family history of heart trouble, I think that's a risk I'm willing to take.

LHM

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back