3rd Class HIMS SI granted. Can I upgrade before it expires?

H

HIMS_Anon

I am lucky enough to say the FAA has issued me a 3rd class medical following the HIMS protocol for substance abuse.

The SI Authorization will expire in 6 years. Is it possible to upgrade this to a 1st or 2nd class medical before the 6 years is over? If so, how long would this process take and what additional information would be required?

What was your situation for HIMS?

How long did your SI take from submission to when it was issued?

From the time the FAA received all the requested documentation in mid-November to the time my HIMS SI Authorization was granted was about 17 weeks.

During this time I called a few regional flight surgeons and used AOPA's PPS medical inquiry services to get updates on the status.

My package was not assigned to the staff physician for review/approval until late-January. It took about 7 weeks for the drug/alcohol physician to approve my medical.

Did you go thru all the nuero cognitive testing and see a HIMS psychiatrist?
From what I’ve heard in the past I believe you can upgrade to a class 1 or 2 in a year. This is what I have seen one of the Ame’s on here mention. Did your packet only have to go thru Oklahoma City?

Third class is an OKC review. Yes you can get it upgraded to first- the SI auth requirements are the same, unless there is something in your history that "Tweaks the meter".

But this SI is usually 2 years. Something has tweaked the meter, because 2 years is the common one.

Third class is an OKC review. Yes you can get it upgraded to first- the SI auth requirements are the same, unless there is something in your history that "Tweaks the meter".

But this SI is usually 2 years. Something has tweaked the meter, because 2 years is the common one.

Curious on what happens typically at the end of these 2 year S.I’s (Specifically HIMs) I’m sure it greatly depends on case by case but the “normal” ones are they reverted back to a standard third class medical or are they renewed for another 2 years.

Curious on what happens typically at the end of these 2 year S.I’s (Specifically HIMs) I’m sure it greatly depends on case by case but the “normal” ones are they reverted back to a standard third class medical or are they renewed for another 2 years.

I had an abuse SI that was going to last 2 years. FAA letter said I was expected to abstain from alcohol for the life of the SI. I drank trying to game the system and tested positive. Got a dependence diagnosis. A year later I had my 2nd class SI that will last 6 years. That letter says I am to abstain from alcohol for "the duration your medical certification eligibility."

I gather that the FAA was going to turn me loose after 2 years expecting me to keep my drinking under control. After this 6yr SI is up, I've given them plenty of reason to keep it going. I heard a remark from a fellow HIMS pilot that the FAA was seeing several relapses among pilots who were released from their SI. Even if the current plan is to turn pilots like me loose after 6 years, and that's a big IF, plans could change.

FWIW, I had a problem. FAA got involved before I had a chance to make the problem worse. I got off easy in the sense of real world consequences.. My $0.02.

I had an abuse SI that was going to last 2 years. FAA letter said I was expected to abstain from alcohol for the life of the SI. I drank trying to game the system and tested positive. Got a dependence diagnosis. A year later I had my 2nd class SI that will last 6 years. That letter says I am to abstain from alcohol for "the duration your medical certification eligibility."

I gather that the FAA was going to turn me loose after 2 years expecting me to keep my drinking under control. After this 6yr SI is up, I've given them plenty of reason to keep it going. I heard a remark from a fellow HIMS pilot that the FAA was seeing several relapses among pilots who were released from their SI. Even if the current plan is to turn pilots like me loose after 6 years, and that's a big IF, plans could change.

FWIW, I had a problem. FAA got involved before I had a chance to make the problem worse. I got off easy in the sense of real world consequences.. My $0.02.
Like Hank William's song, "I've seen the light". "Keep Watch", great board name. "Go to the light".

And the latest news is that those who have had the dependence diagnosis are going to be limited to HIMS AMEs only, after the end and release from SI. They are going to demand interview reports from the HIMS AME- and they will have the discretion to test urine for substance.

The HIMS awardees have a persistent diease; the disease of "dependence" is like coronary disease- it's forever, and this is their acknowledgement of it. The fight for recovery, is FOREVER.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back