3rd class and disability

Mark E. Parsons

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MEP
Hi.. I'm new here, but have been reading posts for quite a while, looking for answers or advice. I am currently flying under light sport rules, and my last 3rd. class medical was in 1999, so I missed the opportunity for Basicmed by 4+ years. I've had 2 surgeries for disc removals, and am on disability. I own an Ercoupe, and am able to fly it with no issues. I'd like to get my 3rd. class, and move up to a larger plane.

My question: Is disability a disqualifier for a 3rd. class medical?

Disability isn't a disqualifier, it just needs to be reported. Disability for mental health issues (PTSD, for example) are going to be problematic. Physical disabilities as long as you can show you have sufficient stability and dexterity to operate an aircraft are less so.

Thanks for the quick replies. I have no skeletons in my closet that I'm aware of... just the skeletal issues of working hard all my life. If an AME issues a medical in his office, is it a done deal, or is a denial letter from the FAA still a possibility?

Occasionally, you'll get a "you may not meet the requirements" letter asking for additional information after a normal issuance if the AME screwed up. It's unlikely they're going to outright overrule an AME without asking for more information.

If you're not taking pain killers stronger than simple Tylenol or aleve and you have normal range of motion, it's not like to be an issue. If you are taking meds, that could be disqualifying. If you have the chance of debilitating pain, you'll have problems. If you don't have full range of motion, you may need a medical checkride to show you can function.

Disability isn't a disqualifier, it just needs to be reported. Disability for mental health issues (PTSD, for example) are going to be problematic. Physical disabilities as long as you can show you have sufficient stability and dexterity to operate an aircraft are less so.

nothing more to add!

Thanks!! I think a consultation is the way to go. I hear there are changes "possibly" coming to the light sport rules in the next few years. Not worth losing my ticket over.

You're on the fine line between "disabled enough to get and maintain an award" and not disabled enough to operate an airplane. Note that the disability companies will eventually discover you have a medical certificate and make the case for terminating you benefits. So choose carefully.

I have BTST as the Pain Guy in a city of 125,000....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back