3rd, 2nd, or 1st

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All:

I am closer to getting my commercial license and was wondering.

Can I get my commercial with a 3rd class medical?

What determines what type of medical certificate I need?

Thanks;
Terry :dunno:

You only need a higher grade certificate if you are going to exercise the privileges of the commercial certificate. You certainly only need a third to exercise CFI privileges.

What determines this is when you are training, you are not doing a commercial operation. You just have to be legal to be PIC for the aircraft used.

The CFI third class is also a "interpretation" exception as in "not being paid for flying, but for teaching". That's been stable on the FAA's interpretations page for about 10 years.

Hi All:

I am closer to getting my commercial license and was wondering.

Can I get my commercial with a 3rd class medical?

Thanks;
Terry :dunno:
You can work on your Commercial Pilot Certificate with a Third Class Medical Certificate. There are no restrictions on training.

But, in order to exercise privileges of a Commercial certificate, you would need a Second Class Medical. This excludes being a flight instructor.

In other words, in order to be hired as a pilot by any operation, you must posses a Second Class Medical along with your Commercial Pilot Certificate.

There is no difference the physicals between Third Class and Second Class Medical Certificates; only the time period during which they are valid as issued.

Edit: Doc beat me to it! That's what I get for running off to the fridge during the post. :)

There is no difference the physicals between Third Class and Second Class Medical Certificates; only the time period during which they are valid as issued.
:)
Man, come back from the fridge and whaddaya find?....

Second class vision standards are a bit tighter....
Second class SIs are a bit tougher.....
Third class now lasts 5 YEARS if yours was issued anytime prior to your 40th birthday! (as of 7/24/08).

thats right, on my last exam i was actually 20/40 non corrected which the nurse said was good enough for 3rd but not 2nd (is that right?)

Either my eyesight has been improving or i was having a particularly good day.

Man, come back from the fridge and whaddaya find?....

I didn't know that. I've always had to wear glasses and got the "corrected lenses required" so it probably didn't make a difference.

As for the new rule... sigh... :)

thats right, on my last exam i was actually 20/40 non corrected which the nurse said was good enough for 3rd but not 2nd (is that right?)

Either my eyesight has been improving or i was having a particularly good day.

Correct. I am like 20/25 and got a second class in 05. So it says "must wear corrective lenses" even though the 2nd class privvies expired 2 years ago. So I always have to wear my glasses even though I don't "need" them.

I have a commercial multi certificate, but I only have a 3rd class medical. I can't exercise the commercial ticket until I get a 2nd class medical. I have had coronary bypass surgery and I cant get a 2nd class medical untill I have an angiogram. So I'll just stick with the 3rd class.

This regulation: 61.39 Prerequisites for practical tests.
(a)(4) "Hold at least a current third-class medical certificate, if a medical certificate is required.";)

And what that means is that if you are going to act as PIC, you need the medical.

I know of two folks who took checkrides where the examiner agreed in advance to act as PIC as their medicals (SIs) weren't through processing yet.

I heard though the grapevine that 1st Class meds are now good for a year if your under 40 anyone else heard this? if its true thats great

Sometimes the doc will work with you to determine the highest class medical you'll qualify for, though you should have a good idea of this going in. Don't check the box indicating the class you're applying for until you talk to the doc. (And don't even start the form unless you're sure you'll qualify for at least a 3rd class!)

Usually the cost is about the same, and the period during which you can exercise 3rd class privileges is the same, so you might as well get the highest certificate.

...but Grant, in my case, I don't so there is one less item in the list of things that make FAA think I was commercial-PICing.

uh uh.

...but Grant, in my case, I don't so there is one less item in the list of things that make FAA think I was commercial-PICing.

uh uh.
Not sure what you mean by that term?:dunno: Is there some sort of legal or moral difficulty with giving the applicant the highest grade medical he's qualified to hold? And the applicant may not know some of the nuances until s/he actually talks to an AME.

Not trying to change your mind or anything, just understand the reasoning behind your position. (Because I know you, and I KNOW you have reasoning behind it!:yes::D)

Hmm, that's interesting. So while I qualify for my 3rd class without issue, I definitely won't pass my 2nd without corrective lenses... and I need new glasses as my prescription is a few years out of date.

I suppose this isn't terribly much of an issue, though, since I'm not sure I'm intending on using my Commercial certificate (once I get it) other than for CFIing.

Back