3D printing and aircraft

CT4ME

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CT4ME
Occasionally there's crabbing about getting parts for old planes (and new). In the low-volume world of LSA, sometime getting parts takes time or maybe there are none to be had.
I was thinking how things might change very soon with 3D printing... Imagine getting a CD with your new plane, containing the CAD/CAM drawings needed to produce your own parts! Or at least "on demand" availability of most parts through your dealer!
http://www.domain-b.com/technology/engineering/20130419_southampton.html
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20130...um-airplane-part-3d-printed-in-one-piece.html
http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyol...here-planes-are-built-with-giant-3d-printers/

Last edited:
Future engine time measured by: TTSELP (total time since engine last printed)

I am sure that this may be more feasible in the long distance future, but for now, the problem with making parts (especially aircraft parts) is the material. A 3D printer makes everything it 'prints' out of the same ink/plastic. So, it might be able to make an exact copy from an apearance standpoint, but will not have the same properties of strenght, heat resistance...etc of the original manufactured part.

I am sure that this may be more feasible in the long distance future, but for now, the problem with making parts (especially aircraft parts) is the material. A 3D printer makes everything it 'prints' out of the same ink/plastic. So, it might be able to make an exact copy from an apearance standpoint, but will not have the same properties of strenght, heat resistance...etc of the original manufactured part.

GE is experimenting with turbine blades since printing most closely matches the casting process in that properties are uniform throughout the structure. Forgings OTOH, have directional properties that as yet cannot be replicated in printed parts. The parts are sort of sintered by fusing a metal powder as the printing proceeds.

No reason why relatively "weak" aircraft parts like handles, switches, compared to "strong" structural parts can't be printed now if you can afford the megabuck machine. ;)

Cheers

Some of the plastics available also will burn out and can be used in the same way as a lost wax casting.

Some of the plastics available also will burn out and can be used in the same way as a lost wax casting.

Bingo. That to me is the real value of the process. You can make a casting investment that you couldn't replicate by a conventional mold.

A 3D printer makes everything it 'prints' out of the same ink/plastic.

I work for a 3D printer mfr. Some of the materials we have are very high temp (i.e., extrude at 900°F) and high strength. I can't really go into a lot of details but we have a lot of aviation customers.

We currently have Ultem 9085, which is FST rated for aviation use (Flame Smoke Toxicity) and polyphenylsulfone (PPSF), which is even stronger. I've made cabin air vent parts and an instrument panel jig for an RV-6.

The ideal future would be for manufacturers of all products to allow you to download spare part files. Right now, I have to measure and use Solidworks to recreate the part. :(

Here's a Open Source project for plans for a 3D-printed LSA!

Back