3D aviation movies?

Bob Noel

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Noel
Any recommendations of a good aviation-related movie in 3D? Of particular interest would be a movie where the 3D effects are well done and contribute to the movie. A counter example (albeit not aviation related) would be Men In Black 3 in 3D. Completely unnecessary 3D effects in that movie

Thanks
Bob

I should clarify that cartoons aren't quite what I'm interested in (albeit Avatar was well done).

I was prepared to dislike Planes (I hated Cars), but it was pretty amusing.
...and I did see it in 3D.

There are a few made-for-IMAX flight 3D movies: Air Racers, Hubble, Space Junk, and (though this is the stretch) Flight of the Butterflies.

You do know that there's no natural 3D effect past about 30' don't you?

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of depth perception clues well past 30', but as far as the contribution of binocular vision, none.

You do know that there's no natural 3D effect past about 30' don't you?

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of depth perception clues well past 30', but as far as the contribution of binocular vision, none.

I thought it was more like 9 feet, but yep, I know depth perception has a very limited range.

It is interesting to hear people talk about how strange everything is at first when they lose vision in one eye. People don't get closer -- they get bigger.

I think the FAA requires a certain period of time (90 days?) when a pilot loses an eye before he can be PIC.

Anyway, I've not heard of or seen any true 3D movies such as the 2D ones: Spirit of STL, High and Mighty, Waldo Pepper, etc.

You can induce exaggerated 3d perception just fine by increasing the distance between the taking lenses. Just look at those weird rangefinder periscopes they used in WWI. It isn't "normal" though.

And probably not that useful for 3D movies....

Astronomers have a lot more acuity than you do. A large-baseline radio telescope can resolve 0.01 arcseconds. A good human eye can barely resolve an arcminute. That's a factor of 6000. Even a crappy optical telescope can get down to an arcsecond without a whole lot of effort beyond finding a dark, dry site.

A good 3D movie about flight (not aviation, though) is "Up."

I just watched the Space Station 3D disk.

Lame Lame Lame. Tom Cruise is a lousy narrator. Anyone that already is reasonably knowledgable about the ISS will be bored. A better audience is probably a child.

Hopefully the Hubble 3D is better.

Back