3AU - Augusta, KS

Jayhawk

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Fletch
Anyone on the boards fly out of Augusta Municipal? Worked there when I was a teenager and got my first flight in the back of a Cherokee 140 there before I moved to Denver, always thought it was a pretty cool little airport. The cross country trip back's been planned since I soloed, hopefully taking a Gobosh back this summer.

I soloed there in 1993. It is a cool airport but it used to be a lot busier than it is now, and there was a lot more planes parked there. Last time I drove by i didnt see any planes parked there or anyone flying.

Know what you mean, I worked at Augusta Aircraft Maintenance at the north end of the field from 2006-2008, and besides a couple of local pilots who'd fly pretty regularly there never was much traffic. I'd hoped it had picked up a little since I've been gone, since they picked up a new airport manager before I left who had some pretty big plans. There were some pretty cool planes based there, used to walk the hangars on breaks and see what I could find or who I could meet.

I trained there and plan on having maintenance done there at Air Capital Aircraft. Great guys that I think have helped breath a little life back into the airport. Nice runway. Brand new taxiway. I am also a member of a flying club (Great Planes Aero Club) that is based there. I am based a few miles from there and like to go there to practice landings.

Jim

Nice, hadn't heard about the new taxiway. I'll have to check out the flying club when I get back. When I was last there the club was made up of a couple 172's/182's that we'd work on pretty regularly, can't recall any tail numbers to check if they're still based there, though. Still kick myself for not starting my training back when I worked there, would've been much cheaper than it is out here.

I might being flying in here on Saturday. I will be approaching from the south. I noticed the number of airports in the area and thought I would see if anyone had any advice. From what I can tell it looks pretty straight forward.

Just keep an eye out for traffic between tankers, skydivers at Cook, traffic at Beech, etc the area can get pretty busy.

What Tony said... not a big deal. Helpful but not required to talk to Wichita Approach as they will advise of any meat bombing activity at Cook Field (K50) south of there.

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I am planning to use flight following and will probably be in touch with approach at some point.

I flew up to Augusta 3AU on Saturday and stopped at SNL (Shawnee) on the way. Both are excellent airports. Shawnee (SNL) was great and the attendants were very helpful. Thanks for all the help and comments..

I was out there an hour or two each of the last three days. Should have posted your ETA I'd have been glad to meet you and take you for a burger.

BTW this week there is an air show at Jabara just across town.

Back