39th Anniversary - Edmund Fitzgerald

Neal Howard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Neal@F14
Today is the 39th anniversary of the loss of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Today, also the Arthur M Anderson, the ship that was only 15 miles away and saw the Fitz disappear off radar, is on her way to Duluth to pick up a load and sail back along the same route across Superior during bad weather.

Tonight I raise a toast to the lost crew of the Fitz and offer a prayer for the safe voyage for the crew of the Arthur M Anderson.

I'll drink to that. To the Edmund Fitzgerald and her crew.

Rich

Here is a picture I keep in my hallway. It's the Carl D. Bradley and the Edmund Fitzgerald passing each other for the single season that they were both on the water.

0625af3259c3531be819436a1a67e55b.jpg

Hear, hear....

I've been to the commemorative lighting of the Split Rock Lighthouse on this day in honor of her crew.

I was in the Navy when that happened. Never thought being on a lake could be dangerous.

The greatest loss of ships and men in WW II was due to storms not enemy action. If you ever ride out a hurricane or typhoon you'll know why.

How many mariners out there would like to strangle the weatherman who says, "The storm has passed safely out to sea."

I was in the Navy when that happened. Never thought being on a lake could be dangerous.

From what I've learned, the lakes are shallow with long fetches so the waves can be high and powerful.

Back in the 1930s my dad sailed the Great Lakes as a radioman, mostly on ore-hauling tugs. His last season, in late November, his ship was caught in one of those storms. He said he never wanted to experience anything like that again, and it's why he quit after that.

The Detroit Mariners' Church takes issue with the characterization of their sanctuary as a "musty old hall."

Back