391st 'Bold Tigers' Pacific Detachment Video

Fredbob711

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Fredbob711
You see Navy squadrons posting videos pretty regularly, but I don't remember seeing many Air Force videos so here you go.

The F-15 was always my favorite military jet growing up. Helped that it was built by a hometown company I guess. Hope they find some way to keep the production line going once they're done with the jets for Saudia Arabia.

https://youtu.be/zD8BedEHpB8

Funny story about the F-15SA (don't remember posting this before but apologies if I did), I got to go on a tour of the Boeing plant here with one of the DoD test pilots working with Boeing. He's actually an F-18 pilot, and had some 'nice' things to say about Air Force jets and how fragile they are. :) Anyway, we get to the part of the tour where they have the finished or mostly finished jets staged. As he's an F-18 pilot we walked past the entire production line for the F-18s and got to see them in various stages of construction/assembly. So this is the first time we're seeing completely assembled aircraft. So we spend some time looking around a finished F-18 (mght have been an EA-18G actually) but my eyes kept straying over to the other side of the building where the F-15SA's were parked. After a while we went to that side of the plant and he had a story to tell us about a feature the Saudis had asked for in their jets. So apparently since most, if not all, of their fighter pilots come from the royal family, they're not used to having to work for stuff. So when they come to the U.S. for training, they're pretty laid back about it and really don't care about perfecting what they learn. I guess at least recognizing this, Saudi Arabia asked for an extra button to placed in the cockpit. If the pilot gets lost, or into a situation they don't know how to get out of, they hit that button and the autopilot will engage and fly them back to their home base. Yes, the F-15SA has an 'Easy Button'.

I just found that very amusing, not sure if anyone else will.

Good vid...although taking selfies is dangerous. :D

That story pretty much sums up my experience with Saudis in the Army. Not a determined or intense bone in their body. I took a Saudi student out one night on a terrain flight nav cross country. He was completely lost. I asked him probably 3 times "do you know where we are right now?" Each time he replied "no, but it is OK." Finally when we had reached the border of the AO and 10 minutes past ETA, I took over nav and said "no, it is not OK. We're lost." They just have an overall non caring attitude when it comes to doing the job of flying. The few that aren't "royalty" actually are decent though.

You see Navy squadrons posting videos pretty regularly, but I don't remember seeing many Air Force videos so here you go.
You have to deploy for a period greater than a few weeks in order to have sufficient time on your hands to produce cruise videos....

:stirpot:

VFA-27 seem to have a lot of time on their hands. Must be a competition each year to see who makes the best vids.

http://youtu.be/SKtMfDBvDT8
Some have more spare time (and creative JO's) than others. CSG deployments have been running 7-9 months these days. When I first came in (before 9/11) nobody did more than 180 days.

What's the cut off age for the airforce I'm going in..

Some have more spare time (and creative JO's) than others. CSG deployments have been running 7-9 months these days. When I first came in (before 9/11) nobody did more than 180 days.

Crap, I don't think I could handle that long at sea, even with port calls in between. 2 days on the Stennis was enough for me.

Crap, I don't think I could handle that long at sea, even with port calls in between. 2 days on the Stennis was enough for me.

We did 90 days out of sight of land once.... they gave us a liberty port on the way home. A good 3/4 of the crew never made it beyond the beer joint nearest to the pier...

Wonder why he pixeled out the PFD and MFD?

Well if I was to post anything publicly that was filmed from a military cockpit, I'd go thru my S2 (Intel) officer first to make sure nothing sensitive was shown. Perhaps that's what these guys did and they decided the information displayed wasn't approved for public release. They do that a lot with combat HUD footage as well.

It was good that they included a few shots of real Basic Fighter Maneuvers.

One gets tired of seeing the same shots of airplanes pitching out of formation into the overhead pattern over and over again.

I don't know why that one WSO saluted the wingman as he pitched into the overhead pattern, that was down right weird.

Do F-15E WSOs sometimes wear NVGs?

Well if I was to post anything publicly that was filmed from a military cockpit, I'd go thru my S2 (Intel) officer first to make sure nothing sensitive was shown. Perhaps that's what these guys did and they decided the information displayed wasn't approved for public release. They do that a lot with combat HUD footage as well.

Pretty much. Some of the avionics can be classified or display info that is classified.

We did 90 days out of sight of land once.... they gave us a liberty port on the way home. A good 3/4 of the crew never made it beyond the beer joint nearest to the pier...

144 at sea days on Gonzo Station on Nimitz '79-80 ... culminating in Operation Eagle Claw/Evening Light

Back