38 degree scoliosis curve - disqualified for first class medical?

produmb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Anti smart
Does the AME check your spine? Would I have to disclose it? It’s considered moderate and causes me no pain or reduced movement, I’m able to function quite normally with it.

Anything over 30 degrees is going to be progressive. And some think over 20 degrees is “progressive”. It can limit pulmonary function, so PFTs are necessary.

I can’t imagine an AME missing this when he/she does the pulmonary exam. The spine won’t be straight of course.

Bring records and a recent set of PFTs, and any orthopedic records. Unless it’s all lumbar, this is a special issuance. I usually also send out for a physical therapists’ functional capacity evaluation.

Last edited:
Anything over 30 degrees is going to be progressive. And some think over 20 degrees is “progressive”. It can limit pulmonary function, so PFTs are necessary.

I can’t imagine an AME missing this when he/she does the pulmonary exam. The spine won’t be straight of course.

Bring records and a recent set of PFTs, and any orthopedic records. Unless it’s all lumbar, this is a special issuance. I usually also send out for a physical therapists’ functional capacity evaluation.
What if I had my spine surgically straightened? I’ll have to get it done anyways eventually.

I’ve had it over 30 degrees for almost a decade, diagnosed at 15 and 24 now, monitored and it’s actually gone down, just don’t remember to what. Def still over 30 degrees though.

Thank you!

I'd make that decision independently of FAA. That is one huge major tirp to the operating room.
If it were repaired, however, it would be

report of operation
Post op status
Certification by AME inspection

Either way you get to fly. It's just a lot more documentation if you are pre-intervention.

Back