363 days...

lancie00

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
lancie00
...from my first IFR training flight to passing my check ride yesterday! Almost a year to the day.

The good...
Check ride was no problem, I easily completed the oral. No I didn't know everything and forgot a couple items just because of the stress but knew where to look them up.
My DPE was great, I'll have no problem going back to him for future checks. (John McLaughlin in Jefferson, Iowa)
Sporty's IFR course did it's job. It didn't tell me everything but worked well for me.
Weather was about right for a check ride. Wind right down the runway at 9. A little turbulence but that gives a little leeway in altitudes.

The bad...
My first CFII passed away half way through my training.
It took me another 6 months to find another instructor.
My instructor didn't digitally sign my IACRA paperwork so we spent an hour on the phone with him trying to get me approved to take the check ride. (For those of you with part time or older CFI's, at least have them sign a hard copy of your application. Too much stress to figure it out in the DPE's office).
I screwed up a partial panel hold. Not enough to bust but we made a really strange circle.
I misunderstood him on the final approach and went below MDA after he said to look up and land and he was expecting a circling approach. We climbed back up to MDA and made the circle no harm no foul.
I had 2 iPads and my iPhone for backup and he didn't fail any of them. Fly like you would in the real world and don't be afraid to use them for navigation. He told me if nothing else, fly the iPad and confirm with aircraft radios.

Truly a great experience but I'm glad it's over.
IMG_2472.JPG

Congrats!

I had a problem with IACRA paperwork during my IR check-ride too (CFII entered my info, then I renewed my expiring medical so the IACRA paperwork was then wrong). I think its good advice to have your CFII at least available by phone, on standby when taking the check-ride. That's how we sorted mine out.

EXCELLENT!! Welcome, Junior Cloud Borer!!!

Now it's time to figure out how you're gonna keep it current.

You don't want to have gone through all this, and let it lapse.

EXCELLENT!! Welcome, Junior Cloud Borer!!!

Now it's time to figure out how you're gonna keep it current.

You don't want to have gone through all this, and let it lapse.

AGREED!!! Ceilings were 1500-2000 broken all day today. Perfect for a low hour IFR pilot, but I thought I better not miss any more work just to go play in the soup.

Back