$3600/hr to ride a P-51D?

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
$3600/hr to ride a P-51D? (WWII Weekend, Reading, PA)

I just learned about the Mid Atlantic Air Museum's WWII weekend in June. I dont know much about the place, but the lineup looks pretty impressive. I also saw a mention of rides being available, and thought it would be done on a raffle-basis or something. Apparently it's open to anyone with deep enough pockets. I wonder how these prices compare to the actual operating costs of these planes. Anyone been to this before? I am dating a girl who lives just across the river from RDG, and will probably make a point to visit that weekend.

Last edited:
$300 an hour to cover the cost of flying the plane. $3300 to cover the attorneys and insurance companies.

:)

$3,000 an hour to cover the cost of flying the plane. $900 to cover the greedy plaintiffs who drive up rates for the insurance companies.

:)

There, fixed it for you. :)

That is one HECK of a line up. I'm there!

I've been to the show a number of times. It's always good and gets bigger/better every year. In addition to all the WWII aircraft there are a large number of reenactors that put on mock battles. It's amazing how many different armys and specialties are represented. Not just US and Germany infantry.

Driving in can be a pain with all the traffic. Last year I flew in and there were surprisingly few transient aircraft. We were able to park on the ramp across the runway from the show and the local pilots group provided ground transportation to the show.

The MAAM is a great little museum.

$3600 per hour might be steep, I don't know what the Stallion51 guys charge, but still, it's a P51D. If you have some $$ burning a hole in your pocket, I say grab the brass ring. What if the FAA passed some sort of draconian ruling tomorrow permanently grounding the P51? (And don't think it couldn't happen.:nonod::nono: I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the P51s, but in life, there are no guarantees. I always thought I'd have another chance to go to the top of the WTC. Guess not. :nonod::frown3: Carpe Diem!!)

Well, you could get three hours in a B-25 and an SIC rating for just a tad bit more than that. That's what I did in Fort Worth. They will be up in OSH this summer. Maybe it's a bit cheaper per hour if you fly several rather than just one.

Best,

Dave

Re: $3600/hr to ride a P-51D? (WWII Weekend, Reading, PA)

I just learned about the Mid Atlantic Air Museum's WWII weekend in June. I dont know much about the place, but the lineup looks pretty impressive. I also saw a mention of rides being available, and thought it would be done on a raffle-basis or something. Apparently it's open to anyone with deep enough pockets. I wonder how these prices compare to the actual operating costs of these planes. Anyone been to this before? I am dating a girl who lives just across the river from RDG, and will probably make a point to visit that weekend.

I seem to recall that a P-51 ride at AirVenture was something north of $1k for a 20-minute flight, so it seems that might be the going rate.

Re: $3600/hr to ride a P-51D? (WWII Weekend, Reading, PA)

Try owning one. $3,600 to fly one for an hour is cheap!

Last edited:
Is it really flying one? Or riding in one? I suppose you could log the time huh?

a friend of mine has one of those two seater P-51's - he said a year ago that it cost him around $3000/hour to fly the plane. That's a lot, but then again, look what yer doing! :)

$3600 probably is fairly realistic.....two things to consider -

First, the insurance for a P-51 is probably ridiculous. Second, maintenance is probably just as ridiculous. Those engines likely cost a fortune to overhaul and TBO is nothing near what we are used to with GA aircraft. TBO for a V-1650 is around 600 hrs in civil use with a reworking of the cylinder heads at 300 hrs.

All that makes the 65 GPH in cruise a matter of small change.

You can find it cheaper, i just googled it today

I hope it helps, at least makes you more close to the "dream"

Back