360 Channel Nav/Com

swingwing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Swingwing
I flew a Cessna the other day that had one of the old 300 series OEM Nav/Coms. Can you still use a 360 channel radio? I seem to remember someone telling me that you can no longer legally transmit on these older radios. Is this true?

Thanks,
Nick

Look under "Aircraft Radio Corp" for your model radio to be sure, but as a general rule, 360-channel comm radios don't meet the spec.

Even if your 360 channel radio meets the 3% rule, how useful is it. ?

Thank you for the answers. I guess its time to make the KX-155 the backup and install a Gramin

Thank you for the answers. I guess its time to make the KX-155 the backup and install a Gramin

Considering the issues with Garmin data base updates and their customer service and support I'd do my home work before spending the money.

Considering the issues with Garmin data base updates and their customer service and support I'd do my home work before spending the money.
I've had no problems with database updates for my 530 in the three years I've had it, and haven't even needed service or support. But regardless of that, can you suggest a better choice in those regards for a full-function GPS/Nav/Comm unit that is available today?

Read the Red boards ? two threads there.

I've had no problems with database updates for my 530 in the three years I've had it, and haven't even needed service or support. But regardless of that, can you suggest a better choice in those regards for a full-function GPS/Nav/Comm unit that is available today?

IAW my local Av shop who is a Garmin dealer, which have a different opinion, they are my source of info.

I tried to get mine repaired, and garmin simply would not support their older equipment.

King will repair anything they ever built. (that is legal to use)

IAW my local Av shop who is a Garmin dealer, which have a different opinion, they are my source of info. I tried to get mine repaired, and garmin simply would not support their older equipment.
I know Garmin is no longer supporting some of the Apollo/UPSAT equipment they didn't design or build, but that's about it.
Bendix/King is well on the way to breaking Garmin's record for availability date rollbacks on its new integrated GPS/comm/nav unit, and you can't seriously consider a KLN-94/KX-155A combo comparable to a GNS430W.

Last edited:
IAW my local Av shop who is a Garmin dealer, which have a different opinion, they are my source of info.

I tried to get mine repaired, and garmin simply would not support their older equipment.

Like any company, YMMV.

My (relatively) ancient GPS V stopped receiving WAAS satellites last fall- it would lock up if WAAS was on. Garmin posted an fix on their web site a month after it was reported to them. I guess took some time to change and test the code. I installed the update- all is well again.

With computerized equipment, a lot of manufacturers won't (and can't) support it forever. Parts get hard to find, compilers run on older equipment, etc. A GPS is a computer and Garmin may not be able to support it because their vendors won't support the parts or other support.

I can't say if this is what is happening in your case, but I see these sorts of issues all too often.

I know Garmin is no longer supporting some of the Apollo/UPSAT equipment they didn't design or build, but that's about it.

Sorry Ron, try getting a GNC-250 repaired. it along with several others it is no longer supported .

Bendix/King is well on the way to breaking Garmin's record for availability date rollbacks on its new integrated GPS/comm/nav unit, and you can't seriously consider a KLN-94/KX-155A combo comparable to a GNS430W.

No company is prefect, I'm only advocating buyer do your home work, there are people who are having dificulties with Garmin support and repair services.

I'm also very happy for you having no problems with your unit you spent so much on. I hope you never have a problem with it.

thankfully, the OP was talking about putting a 430 in their airplane, not a 250. Im sure when the 430 becomes old and obsolete Garmin won't repair those either. Although considering how many there are out there, and the rate at which they are building new ones, I doubt that will be anytime soon.

Back