34th of 57, KRTN

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Raton Municipal Airport (KRTN)

This airport is right up there on my list of great places in New Mexico to go, along with Sierra Blanca and Las Cruces. The owners of the FBO, Keith and Fern, are some of the nicest hosts I've ever met at an airport.

Coming from the north, Raton is located right after the Raton Pass (where the mountains are actually low enough that using the pass is unnecessary). There is a giant flat plain, in between some steep canyon walls. There are two runways that cross and give you plenty of directions to land.

Anyways, back to Keith and Fern. Keith runs the FBO, and refers to his wife, Fern, as the PR person. There is a lot of stuff to do around Raton, and Fern made sure I knew about it (I asked, its not like she talked my ear off unprovoked). The NRA has a giant place called "Whittington Center" where people are welcome to come hunt, camp and shoot. You can see the center from the airport, right up against the hills.

Capulin Volcano is located a bit out of walking range, but is visible from the airport ramp. According to the visitor's guide for the area, you can see 5 states from the top of the Volcano: Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Texas, and New Mexico. Too far? Check this out: While there is no courtesy car available at the airport, Fern and Keith rent their own cars for $10. Dang good deal if you ask me.

The fuel price is a bit high, but its like that everywhere now. $4.10 is about what you'll pay in most places in New Mexico, unfortunately, and it is no different in Raton.

Video: Landing, Runway 25

Pictures:
1) The airport sign
2) The owners/attendants of the FBO, Fern and Keith
3) The Award for Airport of the year
4) The Gift Shop
5) The local Airport Dog
6) The kitchen
7) Not the big volcano, but a volano just off the airport

RATON QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 6352 Ft
Runways 2/20: 5328'x75ft, Ashpalt
Runways 7/25: 4404'x175ft, Asphalt

CTAF: 122.8
AWOS: 118.375

Nick's NOTAMS: Restaurant available, and airport attended 24 hours a day.

Attachments

• Raton Municipal.jpg
    Raton Municipal.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Fern and Keith.jpg
    Fern and Keith.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Airport of the Year.jpg
    Airport of the Year.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Gift Shop.jpg
    Gift Shop.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 16
  • Airport Dog.jpg
    Airport Dog.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Volcano near airport.jpg
    Volcano near airport.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 18
SkyHog said:
Raton Municipal Airport (KRTN)

This airport is right up there on my list of great places in New Mexico to go, along with Sierra Blanca and Las Cruces. The owners of the FBO, Keith and Fern, are some of the nicest hosts I've ever met at an airport.
Fern and Keith are cool people. I have had a number of burgers cooked by Fern in that kitchen over the years. She'll make cookies too! :)

AdamZ said:
Nice shots Nick too bad you didn't claim it for the ConUS challange.

Ahh, but I did :D Multitasking, I am.

Everskyward said:
Fern and Keith are cool people. I have had a number of burgers cooked by Fern in that kitchen over the years. She'll make cookies too! :)

Yeah, I forgot that, there were fresh baked cookies there too, but I wasn't hungry when I got there, unfortunately.

Back