33rd of 57, KLRU

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Las Cruces International Airport (KLRU)

I have planned to get to Las Cruces on numerous occasions, but usually weather keeps me from going, either in Albuquerque or in Las Cruces. At first, I couldn't have asked for a better day to fly. The day ended with a bit of excitement, but regardless, the flight to Las Cruces was wonderful.

My original plan for this flight was to go through Alamogordo and try to get permission to enter R5107D, so as to fly over the White Sands Space Harbor. I called Albuquerque Center, the listed controlling agency to see if there would be a good time to come in and actually get the chance. The center supervisor said "If you see 5107 associated with our restricted space, you're not getting in, period." Bummer.

So I decided to save Alamogordo for a different flight, and on to Las Cruces I went. Today was a really hot day so I was expecting to see massive amounts of turbulence. I was pleasantly surpriced to find smooth skies the whole way down, and not a single cloud in the sky! R5111D was inactive, so I was even able to cut some time off the trip.

Las Cruces has a lot of runways, but runway 4 and 22 are closed because, according to locals, the president and his entourage decided to land a plane on it that exceeded the weight load rating of the runway, causing permanent damage. Now the government is dragging their feet in paying for the repairs. I refuse to bring politics into this, so that is where the story ends.

Today, I was having some adjustments done to the new interior on my plane, so I taxied to Exclusive Interiors to have the work done. A nice gentleman from Adventure Aviation brought the follow me cart over so I knew where to go. He also stuck around long enough to drive me to the Crosswinds Grill, conviniently located inside Adventure Aviation, one of the two FBOs on field.

The food at the Crosswinds Grill was not too shabby. I had an open face smoked turkey sandwich, smothered in gravy. Delcious, and well prepared. I knew there was one more thing I had to do before I left the city.

Jack in the Box. We haven't had a JITB in Albuquerque since the infamous fecal incident in which at least one Burquean died from some nasty poisoning. Apparantly, Jack in the Box is not welcome in Albuquerque, and I miss it. I took the courtesy car from Adventure Aviation, which has to be the most road weary and beat to hell Chrysler I've ever seen, accross the city, and got some Jack in the Box for myself and my room mate to enjoy when I got back to Albuquerque.

On the way back to the airport, I stopped by New Mexico State University to see the place where the Aggies habitually lose to the Lobos, the Pan American Center. I also stopped by Aggie Memorial Stadium as well. Since I was wearing my Lobos hat, I figured I had to let out a good old fashioned howl. Got lots of weird looks, but no one seemed overly concerned. School is in summer session, and it was obvious.

When I went back to the airport, I saw that almost instantaneously, towering cumulous was starting to form. The work on the interior was not completed yet, so I had to wait and watch the storms brew around me. Frustration began to set in and I started to get a bit freaked out.

By the time they had finished, the storms had started to move through a bit and dissipate, so I started to get a bit more excited. The good thing is that I had tailwinds again, so I made great time getting back. There were some pretty nasty cells forming towards Albuquerque, so I diverted, but there were a few hairy moments where I had lightning coming very close to the plane. Luckily I made it through and made it safely.

Fuel at Las Cruces is $4.39 a gallon at Adventure Aviation, and there are all kinds of shops all over the airport. The FBO has a shower, too. There is absolutely no reason to have to leave the airport, everything you'd ever need is available at on field!

I had the pleasure of meeting up with Don Jones again and getting to see his gorgeous Warrior, with the tapered wings. Don took time away from work to come hang out with me while I was stuck wandering around the airport waiting. Much thanks, Don!

Pictures:
1) Exclusive Interiors
2) Mesilla Valley Aviation
3) Southwest Aviation
4) Look! A Tarantula!
5) Adventure Aviation and Crosswind Grill
6) The Information Sign
7) The restaurant at KLRU
8) A shower!!! In the FBO!
9) Water tower shaped like a hot air balloon
10) Jack in the Box. Yummy
11) Pan American Center, where the Aggies always lose to the Lobos
12) The outside of the football stadium
13) The entrance to the football stadium
14) Las Cruces International Airport entrance sign
15) Don Jones's Warrior. Great bird!
16) A Cubcrafters Cub we found at the airport
17) The Crosswinds Grill sign
18) Mountains near Elephant Butte
19) Mountains near Caballo Resevoir
20) Caballo Resevoir
21) Mountains near Socorro
22) A thunder cell develops and we are warned to avoid it
23) The cell deepens and starts to spurt lightning
24) Starting to disipate now
25) The sunset at Albuquerque

LAS CRUCES QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 4456 Ft
Runways 12/30: 7499'x100ft, Ashpalt
Runways 4/22: 7499'x100ft, Asphalt in useless condition, runway closed
Runways 8/26: 6069'x100ft, Asphalt in great condition

CTAF: 122.7
AWOS: 119.025

Nick's NOTAMS: NONE

Attachments

• Mesilla Valley Aviation.jpg
    Mesilla Valley Aviation.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Southwest Aviation.jpg
    Southwest Aviation.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Tarantula.jpg
    Tarantula.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Exclusive Interiors.jpg
    Exclusive Interiors.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Adventure Aviation and Crosswinds Grill.jpg
    Adventure Aviation and Crosswinds Grill.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 18
  • LRU Sign.jpg
    LRU Sign.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Crosswinds Grill.jpg
    Crosswinds Grill.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Shower in FBO.jpg
    Shower in FBO.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Water Tower.jpg
    Water Tower.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Jack in the Box.jpg
    Jack in the Box.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Aggies always lose.jpg
    Aggies always lose.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Aggie Football Stadium.jpg
    Aggie Football Stadium.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 8
  • LRU Welcome Sign.jpg
    LRU Welcome Sign.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 10
  • CubCrafters Cub.jpg
    CubCrafters Cub.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Dons Warrior.jpg
    Dons Warrior.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 19
  • Aggie Footbal Stadium Entrance.jpg
    Aggie Footbal Stadium Entrance.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Crosswinds Sign.jpg
    Crosswinds Sign.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Mountains by Elephant Butte.jpg
    Mountains by Elephant Butte.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Mountains.jpg
    Mountains.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Caballo Resevoir.jpg
    Caballo Resevoir.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 24
  • More Mountains.jpg
    More Mountains.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Uh oh cell.jpg
    Uh oh cell.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 19
  • The Cell Deepens.jpg
    The Cell Deepens.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 18
  • And starts dissipating.jpg
    And starts dissipating.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Sunset by Albuquerque.jpg
    Sunset by Albuquerque.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
SkyHog said:
Jack in the Box. We haven't had a JITB in Albuquerque since the infamous fecal incident in which at least one Burquean died from some nasty poisoning. Apparantly, Jack in the Box is not welcome in Albuquerque, and I miss it.

That is too bad. I remember when I lived in Albuquerque that Jack was upscale. It was Montery Jacks and you could get dinners there that were a bit niver than just a sandwich and fries type of thing. I love the JitB Tacos!! If you know what White Castle Hamburgers are JitB Taco are the Mexican version of the slider.

The picture of the lake with all the boat, is that Elephant Butte Resevoir? If it is one of my co-workers used to keep his boat there and that is where we would go to water ski duing the non-snow months.

SkyHog said:
There is absolutely no reason to have to leave the airport, everything you'd ever need is available at on field!

Except Jack-in-the-box!

Missa

smigaldi said:
The picture of the lake with all the boat, is that Elephant Butte Resevoir? If it is one of my co-workers used to keep his boat there and that is where we would go to water ski duing the non-snow months.

Not sure those are boats, but if they are, they are parked in the Caballo Resevoir, just south of Elephant Butte.

Great pictures, Nick.

Was the spider alive, or dead? It's legs look curled up and dead; where did you find it? (Behind the instrument panel, beside the snake?)

That's some awesome and BEAUTIFUL weather pictures at the end. What was your cruising altitude when you took the pictures of the rock formations?

jeeze nick it looked like you were under the cell when you took that photo. A bit to close for comfort?

SkyHog said:
Not sure those are boats, but if they are, they are parked in the Caballo Resevoir, just south of Elephant Butte.

It is definately boats, however, it is a picture of Elephant Butte lake. Glad you guys got home safely there Nick, I don't know what time you left, (late afternoon obviously) but, the storms really fired up here right before sunset. It was good seeing you again.
Don

Don Jones said:
It is definately boats, however, it is a picture of Elephant Butte lake. Glad you guys got home safely there Nick, I don't know what time you left, (late afternoon obviously) but, the storms really fired up here right before sunset. It was good seeing you again.
Don

You sure that's not Caballo Resevoir? It very well could be Elephant Butte lake, water all looks the same to me. heh.

We left at around 7:00 local time, got home just before sunset. That's right - tailwinds both ways!! Oh yeah!

The storms fired up all around us too right before sunset. Glad we got in when we did.

Troy Whistman said:
Great pictures, Nick.

Was the spider alive, or dead? It's legs look curled up and dead; where did you find it? (Behind the instrument panel, beside the snake?)

That's some awesome and BEAUTIFUL weather pictures at the end. What was your cruising altitude when you took the pictures of the rock formations?

Spider was dead, thank god. I found it on the tarmac. I assume it fried to death (102 degrees at that point).

We were at 9500ft or so when we took the pictures. That's about 4000 ft or so AGL.

AdamZ said:
jeeze nick it looked like you were under the cell when you took that photo. A bit to close for comfort?

Way too close for comfort, but not underneath. There were cells on 3 sides of us, and we were heading towards the one direction that showed blue sky.

SkyHog said:
You sure that's not Caballo Resevoir? It very well could be Elephant Butte lake, water all looks the same to me. heh.

We left at around 7:00 local time, got home just before sunset. That's right - tailwinds both ways!! Oh yeah!

The storms fired up all around us too right before sunset. Glad we got in when we did.

Yep, here is a pic of Caballo. Great pics there Nick
Don

Attachments

• Caballo Lake.JPG
    Caballo Lake.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 17
SkyHog said:

I have planned to get to Las Cruces on numerous occasions.....Nick's NOTAMS: NONE

What? You got all the way down to KLRU and didn't come visit us at 5T6? :D

Glad you had a great experience at LRU and the gang at Adventure! All of us in Southern NM are a big extended family, so a good write up for them is good for us all!

Look forward to seeing you soon at Dona Ana County. E-mail me if you want/need any tips before flying in.

Mike

SkyHog said:

Jack in the Box. We haven't had a JITB in Albuquerque since the infamous fecal incident in which at least one Burquean died from some nasty poisoning. Apparantly, Jack in the Box is not welcome in Albuquerque, and I miss it.
30 years ago, we stopped at JITB in Monterey, CA enroute to Offutt (NE) from Kadena, Okinawa. My (then) 3 year old son's only experience with Botulism.
JITB -- GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!
Do I remember JITB in Albuquerque? Of course. Did I ask to be part of their demise? NO
Would I? Damned Straight!!!
The Executives of JITB really need to join Ken Lay (et al) in the grave!!
There is no justification for their existance, given their shoddy work and QC

Last edited:
MikeELP said:
What? You got all the way down to KLRU and didn't come visit us at 5T6? :D

Glad you had a great experience at LRU and the gang at Adventure! All of us in Southern NM are a big extended family, so a good write up for them is good for us all!

Look forward to seeing you soon at Dona Ana County. E-mail me if you want/need any tips before flying in.

Mike

Oh yeah, I'll be back down there again, but I got chased out by the storms, dangit, I'd have loved to hit 5T6 since its so far down south, ya know?

SteveW said:
30 years ago, we stopped at JITB in Monterey, CA enroute to Offutt (NE) from Kadena, Okinawa. My (then) 3 year old son's only experience with Botulism.
JITB -- GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!
Do I remember JITB in Albuquerque? Of course. Did I ask to be part of their demise? NO
Would I? Damned Straight!!!
The Executives of JITB really need to join Ken Lay (et al) in the grave!!
There is no justification for their existance, given their shoddy work and QC

Umm....ok. Did I mention it was delicious and poop free? And under new management?

But mostly - delicious and poop free.

Trust someone else with the camera, results can't be predicted, Don.

The video is mostly of the panel, every once in a while of the runway, and never steady. Same thing with Hatch. Its a shame, too, I had a pretty good landing at LRU.

Back