310 Flight Review Cockpit Video

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
I completed my BFR the other day and got a chance to toy with my new GoPro. The video is a little long. I'm still working on the editing thing and should have slimmed it a bit more. The flight was 1 hr 20 min and I trimmed it down to 30 something minutes.

If you watch, heed the following disclaimers:
-not a lot of action, just a BFR
-my phraseology isn't POA approved
-I don't visit uncontrolled fields much
-my landings sucked
-I need more cameras/angles
-it's really hard to see white planes and white concrete runways in the snow
-my editing needs work

Enjoyed the ride along.

Nitpicks: I’d want to see more actual checklist use as there’s a few times when either you’re thinking real hard about what’s next (we all do it) where a checklist would make it obvious or the editing is making it seem so. A good checklist while doing the phase of whatever you’re doing or as a memory jogger just prior to it is a big help, and required on checkrides, of course.

I’d work with ya to get them into your flow and make them second nature, if we were flying together. (I also realize older Cessna POHs and their checklists often suck, and tend toward writing better ones for them if I’m flying them a lot.)

Could also be it’s there and your editing removed it. Can’t say for sure.

I also feel generally that it’s a bad habit to get into to reconfigure while still rolling out on full stops. I noticed you raising the flaps, I think. Too many people reach for the wrong handle, especially switching aircraft types. Be real careful with that habit if you start flying a number of types. Stopping at runway exit just past the hold short line with a good well-laid our checklist means a quick stop to read/do all of the cleanup items there and continue. No reason to rush, there’s rarely any reason to hurry to reconfigure.

Liked that you exercised PIC authority on that first landing at Dekalb and said you were going to make it a full stop/taxi back.

Looked like you had fun.

Enjoyed the ride along.

Nitpicks: I’d want to see more actual checklist use as there’s a few times when either you’re thinking real hard about what’s next (we all do it) where a checklist would make it obvious or the editing is making it seem so. A good checklist while doing the phase of whatever you’re doing or as a memory jogger just prior to it is a big help, and required on checkrides, of course.

I’d work with ya to get them into your flow and make them second nature, if we were flying together. (I also realize older Cessna POHs and their checklists often suck, and tend toward writing better ones for them if I’m flying them a lot.)

I also feel generally that it’s a bad habit to get into to reconfigure while still rolling out on full stops. I noticed you raising the flaps, I think. Too many people reach for the wrong handle, especially switching aircraft types. Be real careful with that habit if you start flying a number of types. Stopping at runway exit just past the hold short line with a good well-laid our checklist means a quick stop to read/do all of the cleanup items there and continue. No reason to rush, there’s rarely any reason to hurry to reconfigure.

Liked that you exercised PIC authority on that first landing at Dekalb and said you were going to make it a full stop/taxi back.

Looked like you had fun.
Thanks for watching and your thoughts Nate. I did edit out several checklist reviews other than initial and the manual gear extension. I understand your thoughts about re-configuring while rolling out. Makes sense.

It was fun. I haven't shut an engine down in almost 20 years. I was purposely trying to slow myself down on the engine shutdown because I've heard several stories about being in a rush and feathering/shutting down the wrong engine. After watching the video, I think I went a little far with slowing it down and will speed up the flow a bit. Also, I've read in the book how to do the manual extension but actually doing it once will make it comfortable if I ever have to in the future. Instead of just cross country IFR hauling I think I will incorporate a bit more maneuver/systems training moving forward.

Good job Kevin. I think I would fly with ya!!! :goofy: So how did you like the one hand crank-a-thon??? I always feel like I need a gym visit to work my left arm after all the cranking. Nice video... Btw, your landing weren't that bad... Now let's see where the POAers take this thread...:popcorn:

Oh wow your about to unleash the fury of the effed up PoA family!!!! Brave soul. Cool vid nice plane

Good job Kevin. I think I would fly with ya!!! :goofy: So how did you like the one hand crank-a-thon??? I always feel like I need a gym visit to work my left arm after all the cranking. Nice video... Btw, your landing weren't that bad... Now let's see where the POAers take this thread...:popcorn:
Thanks Mac! Hopefully one day at one of these flyin's, seminars or conventions we can get together.

I read several times about the hand crank but never actually did it. 54 turns to get it done! At least if I ever have to do it I know how easy it is.

The landings weren't too bad. For the most part on the center. Just nice when you have a new passenger to really grease them on. My last one I flared with a bit much speed and had a minor balloon. Of course we are usually our own worst critics.

The crowd has been pretty easy on me so far...I expected to get worse. :)

Your missing a lot of good airports...
I agree. I should have said recently. My log book is full of really nice uncontrolled fields all over the country from the past. I did make it to a couple this past year. Gaston's being the highlight. :)

Very nice, thanks for sharing! Nice panel you have there.
Thanks Ryan. I've been working on it the past year to get it how I want. I'm getting close. All that's left (for now) is to figure out a more modern autopilot...oh yeah... and a second G5. I put $1000 in that stupid HSI when I bought the plane (G5 HSI wasn't available at the time) and recently the glide-slope needle sticks from time to time where I have to do a quick tap to drop it.

I understand your thoughts about re-configuring while rolling out. Makes sense.

It’s a technique thing and like I said, merely a nitpick. Slow can be fast, and can be wrong, which you get.

It was fun. I haven't shut an engine down in almost 20 years. I was purposely trying to slow myself down on the engine shutdown because I've heard several stories about being in a rush and feathering/shutting down the wrong engine. After watching the video, I think I went a little far with slowing it down and will speed up the flow a bit.

I didn’t think you were too slow. You’ll naturally speed up if you ever have it happen in the pattern right after gear extension or somewhere similar that it gets “yikes” levels of critical.

And depending on the known aircraft performance — like on a hot/high departure — you may know from POH study that the gear takes too long to tuck away to even attempt it... and brief to land straight ahead. Or you might know it’ll climb if you get it cleaned up. Up here at our density altitudes except here in the dead of winter, it wouldn’t matter how fast some Superman flipped the handles, they needed to land and go off the end of the runway vs even trying, if they’d have read and really understood the book. It all depends.

All aircraft and conditions are different.

Oh wow your about to unleash the fury of the effed up PoA family!!!! Brave soul. Cool vid nice plane

We’re only mildly dysfunctional. I’ve seen worse. :) :) :)

I didn’t think you were too slow. You’ll naturally speed up if you ever have it happen in the pattern right after gear extension or somewhere similar that it gets “yikes” levels of critical.
That's my thought as well. I've even heard that on departure some teach to skip the verify and feather right away. I'm lucky where I do 99% of my flying in that it's not that critical (terrain, density alt, aircraft loading, etc). I like the idea of verifying with the throttle to make sure I don't feather the good one but I guess that technique is debatable.

And depending on the known aircraft performance — like on a hot/high departure — you may know from POH study that the gear takes too long to tuck away to even attempt it... and brief to land straight ahead. Or you might know it’ll climb if you get it cleaned up. Up here at our density altitudes except here in the dead of winter, it wouldn’t matter how fast some Superman flipped the handles, they needed to land and go off the end of the runway vs even trying, if they’d have read and really understood the book. It all depends.

All aircraft and conditions are different.
Makes sense. I will go up and feather again on different temps and weights and get a solid reference point on what I'm dealing with. I'd like to know what gear down, not feathered, flaps and different combinations do exactly. I understand that your only shot of climbing is feathered and clean obviously. Like I briefed the MEI I was with in the video, if we are out of runway and I feather and she doesn't climb I'm putting it down like a single. Not going to play the keep trying till I roll game. Luckily she seems to be a good single engine operator considering light twins. I will for sure have much more flight planning when I make it out to your neck of the woods! It will be rare for me to be operating out of high density altitude airports which is why I opted for normally aspirated.

. I will for sure have much more flight planning when I make it out to your neck of the woods! It will be rare for me to be operating out of high density altitude airports which is why I opted for normally aspirated.

Yeah. A lot of people download a bit up here and don’t try to stuff the seats and the tanks full, so they can recover some semblance of single engine performance. That’s one way to manage it, anyway.

I like the idea of verifying with the throttle to make sure I don't feather the good one but I guess that technique is debatable.

At the airlines that's the procedure we used. It's a good one, slow enough to realize you're grabbing the wrong engine is good in my book. Of course airlines have the advantage of having two pilots, so both are required to agree on the dead engine before running the procedure.

I thought the CFI could have waited to tell you he was satisfied and asking if there was anything else while you were taking off and about to lift off a little distracting.

Good ride though, you know the plane, and now I miss flying a 310. Thanks a lot.;)

Last edited:
Nice vid, man. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice plane too.

Just remind Nate that he flies a welded gear 182 and tell him where to stick his nitpicks ;)

Haha. I’ve got almost 50 hours in the Turbo Seminole but haven’t flown it in quite a while. I kinda miss it. Poor thing only flies about 10 knots faster in cruise than the 182 at any reasonable fuel consumption numbers, though. :)

I’ll probably have to buy a twin to fly anything worthy of being considered a sweet “travellin’” airplane... someday... but not right now.

We’ve been thinking about other upgrades for the 182 in the coming years, like maybe an interior that isn’t “70s Vintage Goldenrod” with 40 years of dirt accumulation. Or maybe G5s and a G500 which would be the ultimate in “spoiled rotten” considering it hand-flies nicely.

Haha. I’ve got almost 50 hours in the Turbo Seminole but haven’t flown it in quite a while. I kinda miss it. Poor thing only flies about 10 knots faster in cruise than the 182 at any reasonable fuel consumption numbers, though. :)

I’ll probably have to buy a twin to fly anything worthy of being considered a sweet “travellin’” airplane... someday... but not right now.

We’ve been thinking about other upgrades for the 182 in the coming years, like maybe an interior that isn’t “70s Vintage Goldenrod” with 40 years of dirt accumulation. Or maybe G5s and a G500 which would be the ultimate in “spoiled rotten” considering it hand-flies nicely.

Yeah, mine has fugly 1971 paint and interior. At fly-ins, mine is the one that makes everyone feel better about the looks of their airplane. Everyone present can say, "well, at least mine is way nicer than that guy's". In fact, I think @Radar Contact left Gaston's early last year because he was park next to it.

I think about upgrades too, but the list of things it would take to make it "nice" just seems to daunting.

Yeah, mine has fugly 1971 paint and interior. At fly-ins, mine is the one that makes everyone feel better about the looks of their airplane. Everyone present can say, "well, at least mine is way nicer than that guy's". In fact, I think @Radar Contact left Gaston's early last year because he was park next to it.

I think about upgrades too, but the list of things it would take to make it "nice" just seems to daunting.

At least you’ve got an airplane...

Enjoyed the ride along.

Looked like you had fun.

Reconfiguration... I was taught to slap the flaps. Slap the gear lever, it won’t go anywhere since you have to pull on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reconfiguration... I was taught to slap the flaps. Slap the gear lever, it won’t go anywhere since you have to pull on it.

Know two CFIs who’ve had the gear folded on them with students personally. Both folded the nose gear only on Cessnas because they were practicing short field landings and reached to dump the flaps.

And others who said their hand got there in time.

I wouldn’t risk it with a 40 year old flap handle. You’re as likely to break the thing as you are to slap the wrong handle.

Johnson Bars were a wonderful thing...

Last edited:
No way! I only left early because a massive front was moving in and going to block me for a couple days. As it turned out I had to land at the edge of it about 20 miles south of my home airport. Got it pulled in the community hangar they graciously loaned me right before the bottom fell out.

Every plane that flies is a beaut to me. I'll be sure to park next to you again this year so I can help you carry that excellent home brew you bring.

Back