310 around the world

arkvet

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
I was on the way back from Destin this am and was on FF with Memphis center. Center had been talking to 3 or 4 of us when he just breaks out into plain ole English and says "did you fly that thing all the way from ...? The pilot comes back on and starts explaining where he'd been so far and it sounded like he'd already knocked out a lot of it. Pilot sounded tired in all honesty. Controller asked a handful of questions about fuel and longest leg, etc.

I tried to get a tail # but was just late catching on to what I was hearing and was soon handed off.

I'm pretty sure it was a Cessna 310 but may have been a 210? Pilot was on the trip with his wife. English was definitely not first language.

These kinds of trips can't be done all that often. Anyone aware of this particular trip?

There's a YouTube star who recently bought a 210 to fly around the world. Maybe it was him. I ran across the video by accident.

Could have been a 210 and since I put 310 in the title I'd say it is highly likely. I had to interject into the discussion on the radio to ask and couldn't discern the first #.

If you can find the link that would be great.

Maybe you could find the archive recording on LiveATC for the tail number?

"Hey guy, what's your tail number again? I want to research you." :D

Pretty cool. I recently saw a guy on the web who flew Amelia Earhart's route in a Mooney and just returned back to the states. Seemed like I saw it through a friend of MrAviation101's.

"Hey guy, what's your tail number again? I want to research you." :D

Pretty cool. I recently saw a guy on the web who flew Amelia Earhart's route in a Mooney and just returned back to the states. Seemed like I saw it through a friend of MrAviation101's.

One presumes he managed to find Howland Island on his attempt? :cool:

There's a YouTube star who recently bought a 210 to fly around the world. Maybe it was him. I ran across the video by accident.
FunForLouis? He's English and the guy that's going to be flying it is South African.

I was on the way back from Destin this am and was on FF with Memphis center. Center had been talking to 3 or 4 of us when he just breaks out into plain ole English and says "did you fly that thing all the way from ...? The pilot comes back on and starts explaining where he'd been so far and it sounded like he'd already knocked out a lot of it. Pilot sounded tired in all honesty. Controller asked a handful of questions about fuel and longest leg, etc.

I tried to get a tail # but was just late catching on to what I was hearing and was soon handed off.

I'm pretty sure it was a Cessna 310 but may have been a 210? Pilot was on the trip with his wife. English was definitely not first language.

These kinds of trips can't be done all that often. Anyone aware of this particular trip?

It was an RV10 registered in Malta. Registration is ZU-IHF.

That was a hard left over Columbus with a loop the loop in it ;)

Thanks!!!

Yeah that's it. The odd "N #" was throwing me off and all I really knew for certain was it ended in Foxtrot.

Yeah I almost started a new thread regarding why I needed to finish my IFR. I've nearly completed all my requirements. Just haven't taken that week or two to really prepare for the checkride.

Absolutely sucked flying along the bottom of that when there were several non convective areas to go through. The narrow tops were in the low teens and my NA Toga just didn't have the ooomph to go over, or actually I just didn't want to push it with weather changing by the minute. The 180 I made was a hole that I shooting for that didn't pan out. The last thing I wanted was to be at 11k and be looking at a 12k top 2-3 miles ahead.

Added an extra 45 minutes onto the trip but we made it home safe and sound. Love being able to carry extra fuel. First trip I've ever made when I actually had to do some math (mid flight) to make sure I wasn't getting into the reserve. Love my JPI830 for that.

At one point I had an active MOA on my left and the cloud bank on my right. The controller (Columbus?) was adamant that I stay away from the MOA. I did what I could but had to use the word "unable" several times telling her I was staying VMC and going N was NOT an option.

At one point I had an active MOA on my left and the cloud bank on my right. The controller (Columbus?) was adamant that I stay away from the MOA. I did what I could but had to use the word "unable" several times telling her I was staying VMC and going N was NOT an option.

If it is going to be impossible to stay in VMC conditions, and the MOA is the only clear area, and the controller does not want you to go there, declare an emergency. I have heard airlines do that to avoid convective buildups. The conversation between the pilots and ATC sounded as if the controller was expecting the airliner to do just that.

Do not worry about paperwork. I mean it will become an emergency if you go into the clouds, right?

Interestingly I never went into the MOA and could easily see the boundary that I was paralleling. I would estimate I was 2-3 miles away from the boundary at all times and never made a turn to threaten entering the MOA once I was advised it was active. I almost wanted to ask ATC if the lines on their charts were more blurry than mine? I mean if I'm outside the MOA and stay outside and am at an appropriate VFR altitude then why would their activity and right to the airspace supersede my rights? I was VFR, at appropriate altitude, and watching for traffic. Another question I wanted to ask was why they didn't show up on my 2 separate ADS-B in devices.

If it is going to be impossible to stay in VMC conditions, and the MOA is the only clear area, and the controller does not want you to go there, declare an emergency. I have heard airlines do that to avoid convective buildups. The conversation between the pilots and ATC sounded as if the controller was expecting the airliner to do just that.

Do not worry about paperwork. I mean it will become an emergency if you go into the clouds, right?

The airliner is IFR. He was VFR... just go into it if you need to, it's an MOA... it's not a Restricted Area. Declaring in that case is making a mountain out of molehill.

They're not equipped.
Oh, I know. It would have been a rhetorical question to point out the fact that it might have been helpful. The best way to avoid an MOA in MS is to avoid MS. >50% of the state is an MOA. Kinda tough given the trip I was taking. Ironically I found Eglin / Destin to be an absolute breeze.

Oh, I know. It would have been a rhetorical question to point out the fact that it might have been helpful. The best way to avoid an MOA in MS is to avoid MS. >50% of the state is an MOA. Kinda tough given the trip I was taking. Ironically I found Eglin / Destin to be an absolute breeze.

7k and below should get you under a lot of them. Unless you stayed south, I'm not as familiar with those.

https://www.gsattrack.com/Login

Getting back to the original post... The above link will show you the people I crossed paths with. Their facebook page is "Fosters RTW" (round the world) To see their progress type Public as username and FOSRTW as the password. The link and info was listed on the facebook page.

7k and below should get you under a lot of them. Unless you stayed south, I'm not as familiar with those.

Yes, that was the issue. I had climbed to 8500 to be over a layer underneath and didn't have much room below. I don't often fly VFR over the top but in this particular flight I did have excellent CAVU forecasts on both ends of my trip.

https://www.gsattrack.com/Login

Getting back to the original post... The above link will show you the people I crossed paths with. Their facebook page is "Fosters RTW" (round the world) To see their progress type Public as username and FOSRTW as the password. The link and info was listed on the facebook page.
Purposely deviated from the original post....glad you chose Destin back when you were asking. I always love to go there. Sounds like you didn't have a problem with the airspace in and out. Think it will be a do-again trip for you in the future?

Purposely deviated from the original post....glad you chose Destin back when you were asking. I always love to go there. Sounds like you didn't have a problem with the airspace in and out. Think it will be a do-again trip for you in the future?

Yes, we enjoyed the Destin area quite well. Only real downside was increased road traffic. We are more beach bums though and don't get out too much. Water is definitely clearer in Destin and many more choices to eat.

I did think getting in and out of Destin was a breeze. The only curve ball I got was that I was really expecting to get routed down to either east or west corridor. I'd studied the tutorial quite well and was prepared for that. I read that a N/S corridor was not common.

When Pensacola told me to proceed direct to CEW vortac I dialed it in the IFD and noticed where it fell... I thought... hmm, This might be a N/S corridor entry. Got handed off to Elgin and it was no problem.

I'm sure we'll use Destin again. I didn't find it to be super friendly like jack Edwards. They weren't necessarily rude either. Just indifferent. Fees were a little higher but geesh I did sign up for this hobby.

Kids caught some speckled trout one am. Definitely the best part of the trip!

Our fishing guide along with the 3 kids. LW Burroughs. First class!
IMG_4419.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 55507

Yes, we enjoyed the Destin area quite well. Only real downside was increased road traffic. We are more beach bums though and don't get out too much. Water is definitely clearer in Destin and many more choices to eat.

I did think getting in and out of Destin was a breeze. The only curve ball I got was that I was really expecting to get routed down to either east or west corridor. I'd studied the tutorial quite well and was prepared for that. I read that a N/S corridor was not common.

When Pensacola told me to proceed direct to CEW vortac I dialed it in the IFD and noticed where it fell... I thought... hmm, This might be a N/S corridor entry. Got handed off to Elgin and it was no problem.

I'm sure we'll use Destin again. I didn't find it to be super friendly like jack Edwards. They weren't necessarily rude either. Just indifferent. Fees were a little higher but geesh I did sign up for this hobby.

Kids caught some speckled trout one am. Definitely the best part of the trip!

Our fishing guide along with the 3 kids. LW Burroughs. First class!
View attachment 55507
mmmm, grilled trout

LOL

So get this. I've been needing to get over into B or C territory for several weeks to get the test flight for my ads-b install rebate. It crossed my mind to do it while on this trip but the idea of tacking on any additional time to an already 3 hour trip wouldn't have sat well with the wife and kids...

My rebate expires (60 days) on the 15th and I was trying to figure out when I could squeeze it into a busy weeekend. Today the light bulb went off and I remembered your post regarding the turns over Columbus!!! Sure enough. As luck would have it I submitted the flight and that sucker worked for my test flight. Rebate approved!

Just wanted to say a huge Thanks!! Would have never even thought of that flight working. Lol

I flight planned a trip around the world and the longest leg was Greenland to Iceland, about 450 nm. That was if one could get through Russia (it was possible at the time, but you had to hire a guide who accompanied you). So you don't need super long range. I had some computer software that had all the foreign airports on it (well not all, but many). As many as they knew about I suppose.

LOL

So get this. I've been needing to get over into B or C territory for several weeks to get the test flight for my ads-b install rebate. It crossed my mind to do it while on this trip but the idea of tacking on any additional time to an already 3 hour trip wouldn't have sat well with the wife and kids...

My rebate expires (60 days) on the 15th and I was trying to figure out when I could squeeze it into a busy weeekend. Today the light bulb went off and I remembered your post regarding the turns over Columbus!!! Sure enough. As luck would have it I submitted the flight and that sucker worked for my test flight. Rebate approved!

Just wanted to say a huge Thanks!! Would have never even thought of that flight working. Lol

Glad it worked out for you. Happy flying and if you're ever looking for a nice beach vacation, be sure to try KHSE in the Outer Banks.

Back