310 ADSB

Topper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topper
I am purchasing a 310. First thing I am putting in an Aspen, I would like to add a flight stream and ADSB so it is out of the way. My problem is that my shop is now also an avionics shop (brought a tech from another shop that did the upgrades in another plane for me), however they are not a Garmin dealer yet.

They can't do the flight stream or a Garmin ADSB solution. They recommended that I consider the Stratus solution and the Lynx L3 (he also recommended that I look at Garmin solutions). The plane has two transponders (I don't remember what they are, but they are not adsb) and a 530/430. The L3 looks pretty cool, but I am thinking I may be able to just add a GDL88 and then both existing transponders can remain and be used.

This forum was a great help when I did this on my 182, so I am reaching out again for help. Thanks in advance.

Jim

See some of the other threads on Aspen... The E5 is a "cheap" option right now, but Aspen is not particularly attractive at this stage which may affect how much you get back at resale.

Personally, I would not do an avionics upgrade right now that involved Garmin GNS/GTN GPS units without putting in a FlightStream (210 if GNS, 510 if GTN). The flight plan crossfill to iPad/Android EFBs really helps with streamlining cockpit workload. There are other ways to do ADS-B to those EFBs, but that's a nice feature as well.

The other issue with doing non-Garmin ADS-B is that the FIS-B weather from the Stratus and L3 transponders cannot be displayed on the Garmin GPS units. If you're OK with the weather only being available on the iPad (and again, the potential for lower resale value), then maybe that's not too big of a deal. Until I discovered that, I was really interested in the L3, it's a really nice unit IMO and is more feature-rich and modern-looking than any other transponder on the market, though it is even more expensive than Garmin now.

You should check and see what your transponders are. If at least one of them is a GTX 330, there is an upgrade available (to the GTX 330 ES) that will give you ADS-B Out capability cheaper than any other option.

Hope this helps at least a little!

I'm not understanding why the GDL88 is needed.
In my opinion, the Lynx ngt9000 is one of the best adsb/transponder units as it is both 1090 ads-b out, and ads-b in. In addition, it will interface with the Aspen to give you traffic and/or weather on that display, as well as both appearing on the Lynx display, and will also send that to your EFB of choice (I believe) on your IPad. The only thing missing is that your backup transponder is not ADSB, but is still a mode c backup, nevertheless. I'm not sure that is much a problem, YMMV. A Garmin dealer is not needed for the above, and your plane can fly above 18000 ft with adsb, an advantage I would think for a 310.

Can't comment about the flightstream capabilities although I know about crossfill from iPad, but ASPEN connected panel can do the same, if that was extremely important to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, it is helpful. I know some people are not aspen fans, I happen to really like mine in my 182 and have no concerns with doing it again. I will put in a he full function pro vs the E5.

I don’t have the flight stream with my 750 (not sure it was an option or maybe it was I ran out of money!). I agree that it is a worthwhile addition. I have weather from a storm scope on the 530, so seeing adsb weather on the aspen should be fine. I do prefer (or at least think I do and am used to) seeing the traffic on the gps. I think I would get used to it and having it on the lynx also couldn’t hurt.

Not sure I will ever be taking a normally aspirated anything over 18k,so that is not s big concern, but maybe the next buyer would think it was.

I appreciate any more thoughts. I definitely made a better choice last time based on input from POA.

Jim

Looks like Aspen’s connected pilot will do the same thing as the flight stream plus maybe more. Anyone have experience with it?

You probably know this, but the stormscope data can be put on the Aspen as well as the 430. I do this on my set-up. With the Aspen, L3, and the 430, moving stormscope, weather or traffic among the three, besides an IPad, can give you the best way in your estimation to view the different data. I'm not sure of this, but you may even get the ability to display traffic and weather from the ngt9000 to the 430 on its map pages, or its dedicated pages, just like the interface with a Garmin 330, or BK Kt74 transponders, or the like.(edit: I see that flyingcheesehead said no but kt74 and trig 31, its cousin, are not Garmin )

Last edited:
Actually I didn’t know that. The stormscope will be new to me. Lots of new to me toys, engine monitor, shadin, boots, etc. fortunately I have a little time with all of them except for the stormscope.

You may even get this ability(stormscope) on the Aspen without purchasing the "key" since I believe it will be opened up when you purchase the Ngt9000 as there is a partnership of sorts with Aspen.

The stormscope may need to be in the WX500 format to interface with the Aspen however.

Last edited:
One more thing, since you are doing a lot of work, some of these extras may be thrown in if you ask. My stormscope install and Aspen connection key was thrown in when I updated my panel.

Thanks, I will ask. My shop is going to officially become an aspen dealer after they sell their first unit, they are making me a great deal on it for that reason, but hopefully they can do a little more if I let them do the aspen, l3 and aspen connect.

I'm not sure of this, but you may even get the ability to display traffic and weather from the ngt9000 to the 430 on its map pages, or its dedicated pages, just like the interface with a Garmin 330, or BK Kt74 transponders, or the like.(edit: I see that flyingcheesehead said no but kt74 and trig 31, its cousin, are not Garmin )

As I understand it, the Garmin GPS units will display traffic from the NGT-9000, but not weather. That's according to the Lynx rep I talked to at Oshkosh.

I am purchasing a 310. First thing I am putting in an Aspen, I would like to add a flight stream and ADSB so it is out of the way. My problem is that my shop is now also an avionics shop (brought a tech from another shop that did the upgrades in another plane for me), however they are not a Garmin dealer yet.

They can't do the flight stream or a Garmin ADSB solution. They recommended that I consider the Stratus solution and the Lynx L3 (he also recommended that I look at Garmin solutions). The plane has two transponders (I don't remember what they are, but they are not adsb) and a 530/430. The L3 looks pretty cool, but I am thinking I may be able to just add a GDL88 and then both existing transponders can remain and be used.

This forum was a great help when I did this on my 182, so I am reaching out again for help. Thanks in advance.

Jim
Congrats on your 310!!!

As I understand it, the Garmin GPS units will display traffic from the NGT-9000, but not weather. That's according to the Lynx rep I talked to at Oshkosh.

Yes, that makes sense. That jogs my memory as the BK KT74 and its Trig relative (TIS-A traffic),and the Freeflight transceiver analogues (TIS-B traffic) will also send traffic but no weather. Only the Garmin products do both traffic and weather to the 430.

Congrats on the 310! Great airplanes :)

I would not recommend the Lynx. I have one in one of our PA28s and anytime the software gets slightly outdated the thing crashes and you'll lose either ADSB, the actual transponder part or both. The screen is kind of cool but with that much panel already in it it's just not necessary. And the Lynx is incredibly expensive compared to other options.

Ask the good installer to moonlight through a Garmin dealer? :) If you WANT something, get it. Too much money not to get what you want.

Ask the good installer to moonlight through a Garmin dealer? :) If you WANT something, get it. Too much money not to get what you want.

This. You're already sinking tens of thousands of dollars into the panel, get what you want the first time and be done with it.

I agree, but it looks like the Aspen connect gives me the same capabilities as the flight stream and maybe more. I plan to visit with my avionics guy Monday to see what he recommends. I think I like the Lynx L3 option, except for the problems Z06 outlined. Not sure if that is typically or an isolated case.

Thanks again for all the input.

Jim

Looks like Aspen’s connected pilot will do the same thing as the flight stream plus maybe more. Anyone have experience with it?

I don't think it is available any longer. Garmin changed the cross fill interface that the Aspen used. I would double check with Aspen. ForeFlight doesn't support it in its most current version

Back