30th of 57, KFMN

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Four Corners Regional Airport, Farmington (KFMN)

Farmington, New Mexico is a really cool city. I've been here a few times, and every time I come I have a good time. This time was no exception.

This was to be my last landing of the day from the right seat. It was, by far, the sloppiest and most disgusting landing I've ever done, right or left seat. I got confused on the runways, and made too steep of a turn to final. Ugh. Not good. But I was getting tired at this point.

We met Chas's stepmom at the airport and she took us to the Three Rivers Restaurant in the city. I've been here before, and I must say, aside from their salsa, they are great.

On the ramp at Four Corners Regional is a bunch of Bonanzas that are painted in Mesa Airlines livery that are used for training purposes by the Mesa Pilot Development program. They seem like a pretty good program, but personal experience shows that you really should not request information from them unless you really plan on going. I did it about 2 years ago, and have been called, spammed, and received mailers once a month ever since, trying to convince me to come. They don't take no for an answer very easily.

There are 2 controllers that I've experienced at Four Corners. One has a very strong Russian accent, but he's easy to understand. The other speaks way too fast, and you can barely even understand the ATIS. This day, we had the Russian dude. He's really nice, but don't bother requesting a practice approach. We tried, and he refused because he had 2 planes in the pattern. Chas said he's never been allowed to do an approach at Farmington regardless of how many planes are in the pattern. Also - the Mesa Pilots are always working in the area, so keep your eyes out for student pilots.

The approach to this airport from the south is a bit difficult, because the airport is right on the side of a bluff. Its not easy to spot even from a few miles away because it really disappears into the bluff.

For convienience, this airport is probably the best in New Mexico. The city is right next to the airport, and Seven Bar Aviation has a courtesy car available. The fuel price is unbelievable at over $5.00 a gallon, so don't expect to get decently priced fuel, but beyond that, this place is great. I firmly suggest this airport to anyone.

Next up - the most "dangerous" airport in New Mexico by the local's warnings....

Videos:
1) Taking off. I didn't even know this video was taken. (link below)

Pictures:
1) Landing, Runway 25
2) Rollout, Runway 25
3) On the ramp, KFMN

FOUR CORNERS REGIONAL QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 5506 Ft
Runways 7/25: 6704'x100ft, Pourous Ashpalt, in good condition
Runways 5/23: 6500'x150ft, Pourous Asphalt, in good condition
ATIS: 127.15
GROUND: 121.7
TOWER: 118.9

Nick's NOTAMS: Fuel is very pricey. Courtesy Car available. Beware of fast speaking controllers.

Attachments

• IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 15
  • TakeoffKFMN.wmv
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Wow, by the looks of that first picture it looks like you will be able clear at the run up area. Thanks for these reports, Nick. They are a lot of fun to read and you do a good job in reporting.

Too bad I was away (up in Glacier Park) when you popped in at my home base, Nick. Would have been nice to say hello.

There are two FBO's at Farmington. Seven Bar is more centrally located, but also far more expensive than Bisti ($4.99 vs $4.36 for 100LL). You'll get good service from both operations. The many complaints about Seven Bar seemed to go away with a change of managers last year. Bisti is a small operation run by Don Sitta, a man with aviation in his blood, and he'll give you a lesson in his 1940's vintage Taylorcraft taildragger. This is a great experience, especially if you've never had to start a plane by hand-propping. I'd wait until cooler days, since the climb performance of that plane at 9000' density altitude is non-existent.

Both businesses have courtesy vehicles available for a run into town. There hasn't been a restaurant on the field for a couple years, but the good news is that one is supposed to be opening around September. It will be Leonard's, which is also at North Las Vegas and some other places, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Jon

PS Never had a problem doing practice approaches, but then again, if I hear the Mesa Air Force going on the radio, I'm likely to want to go somewhere else anyway.

4CornerFlyer said:
Too bad I was away (up in Glacier Park) when you popped in at my home base, Nick. Would have been nice to say hello.

There are two FBO's at Farmington. Seven Bar is more centrally located, but also far more expensive than Bisti ($4.99 vs $4.36 for 100LL). You'll get good service from both operations. The many complaints about Seven Bar seemed to go away with a change of managers last year. Bisti is a small operation run by Don Sitta, a man with aviation in his blood, and he'll give you a lesson in his 1940's vintage Taylorcraft taildragger. This is a great experience, especially if you've never had to start a plane by hand-propping. I'd wait until cooler days, since the climb performance of that plane at 9000' density altitude is non-existent.

Both businesses have courtesy vehicles available for a run into town. There hasn't been a restaurant on the field for a couple years, but the good news is that one is supposed to be opening around September. It will be Leonard's, which is also at North Las Vegas and some other places, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Jon

PS Never had a problem doing practice approaches, but then again, if I hear the Mesa Air Force going on the radio, I'm likely to want to go somewhere else anyway.

Ugh! I totally forgot you lived up here, or I would have let you know I was coming!

I did forget to add Bisti, but there is an important note to add about them - its nigh on impossible to get to their FBO without an insanely long taxi. They have much cheaper fuel, and the owner is super nice (from previous experience, not this time). I hear rumors from all of the airports up there that Bisti is very close to extinction, so it would be nice to give them as much business as possible.

I was unaware of SevenBar's change of management, but I do know that they are now affiliated with Bode Aero in Albuquerque, and that's enough for me to dislike them.

SkyHog said:
and made too steep of a turn to final.
Know your limits.
Know your airplanes limits.

That said I turn whatever it takes to get the airplane to be where I want it when I want it how I want it.

Basically what i'm saying..is don't beat yourself up because you banked > X . X = Some predetermined bank angle made up by some d00d.

Last edited:
Back