30-Day VOR Check with Avidyne 540 and Garmin G5

SoCal 182 Driver

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Can anyone tell me how to do a 30-day VOR check with my Avidyne IFD540 and a Garmin G5? I've done one in the past, but for whatever reason (brain fart?) I couldn't do it today.

I'm trying to do an airborne VOR check and compare the IFD to the CDI attached to a KX155.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You turn the G5 and IFD540 to VLOC (green needles), then twist the course knob to center the deviation indicator - that gives you the bearing to/from the VOR. Or, a bit easier: bring up the VOR information in a data block on the IFD540, and you can read the bearing directly without any mode switching.

- Martin

You turn the G5 and IFD540 to VLOC (green needles), then twist the course knob to center the deviation indicator - that gives you the bearing to/from the VOR. Or, a bit easier: bring up the VOR information in a data block on the IFD540, and you can read the bearing directly without any mode switching.

- Martin
That's what I thought I was doing yesterday, but no joy. I'm starting to wonder whether there was an issue with the VOR we were using.

Thanks, Martin!

To close this out, I went up yesterday and did the VOR check with a different (nearby) VOR, and it worked perfectly. Both needles were within 1* of each other. So, though it was never in a NOTAM, I think the previous VOR was malfunctioning at the time I tried to do the test originally.

Back