3 Zero Cafe Out of Commision

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
My YF and I were sadly disappointed today. We drove to Half Moon Bay from Sunnyvale specifically to eat at the HMB 3 Zero Café wanting fish and sweet potato fries, and it was closed. Closed as in completely out of business. It was always fun to visit, with a lot of aviation memorabilia. Some from the Golden Age of Aviation, some local aviation, some WW II aviation, and more modern aviation.

Turns out, he hadn't renewed his lease sometime ago, then was on a month to month basis for a while, until he got tired of running a restaurant, and quit the business. The 3-Zero Café sign is also gone.

I'm hoping someone, like Joe, who has a passion for aviation, and restuaranting, will step in, modernize the place, and reopen it.

In the meantime, there's always the HMB Brewing Company, which is where we had lunch, instead.

In all the years I used to fly in to KHAF for an afternoon of hiking or swimming, it never occurred to me to eat at the 3 Zero Cafe. If you park at the South ramp, there is a gate and you are right there next to several great restaurants in the harbor area. The one time I did eat there, I hadn't flown in, but had occasion to be there over night, and ended up at the 3 Zero Cafe in the morning, as it is pretty much the only place in town that serves breakfast. Hence, the entire town shows up for breakfast.

Frankly I was underwhelmed. I got a two egg platter which was two eggs, and about four pounds of potatoes and toast and stuff, none of which I could eat. In retrospect I should have probably asked them if I could just have a couple eggs a la cart. But, the rest of the menu didn't look all that appealing to me either.

Turns out, he hadn't renewed his lease sometime ago, then was on a month to month basis for a while, until he got tired of running a restaurant, and quit the business. The 3-Zero Café sign is also gone.

Owning and running a restaurant is hard and the hours can be very long if you can't find trustworthy people to hire and help. There's a woman in her 70s here that runs a restaurant open for lunch and dinner. She has great employees but still works 6 days a week from early morning doing her own prep, to late at night closing the place. She takes Thursday off cause that is the slowest of days.

I don't blame anyone for wanting a break from that.

In all the years I used to fly in to KHAF for an afternoon of hiking or swimming, it never occurred to me to eat at the 3 Zero Cafe. If you park at the South ramp, there is a gate and you are right there next to several great restaurants in the harbor area. The one time I did eat there, I hadn't flown in, but had occasion to be there over night, and ended up at the 3 Zero Cafe in the morning, as it is pretty much the only place in town that serves breakfast. Hence, the entire town shows up for breakfast.

Frankly I was underwhelmed. I got a two egg platter which was two eggs, and about four pounds of potatoes and toast and stuff, none of which I could eat. In retrospect I should have probably asked them if I could just have a couple eggs a la cart. But, the rest of the menu didn't look all that appealing to me either.
I was underwhelmed as well. Standard greasy spoon fare, outdated and not all that tasty.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

With so many great restaurant options just on the other side of the gate of the South Ramp I was always amazed that there was even a cafe on field there.

Last time I was there, I met the Kings. Very nice folk. I was flying with a non-pilot who had no idea who these Lilliputians were and why I was thrilled to meet them. The fog was moving in and we all hightailed it out of there at the same time.

P.S. always sad to see an airport restaurant close

P.P.S. I cant figure out what YF means.

Seems to be the same MO we
Took me a while. Means wife.

I guess he’s too cool to type it. :)

YL is a ham radio term. So is xYL. You’ll hear it on the bands sometimes.

Back