3 Year old PC

flyingcheesehead said:
>Get into left seat of 172

You are sitting in a Cessna 172. It has a G1000 glass cockpit. Runway 5-23 is to your left.

>Engage starter

The engine turns over. It does not fire.

>Prime engine

The engine is primed. You smell a faint hint of avgas.

>Engage starter

YOU'RE ON FIRE!!!

>

So, who is up for coding an aviation based text adventure? ;)

mgkdrgn said:
Zork! 1, 2, and 3! Long live the great underground empire!

I ran that game on a VAX 11/780 before ever seeing the version that would run on my Commodore 64 (which is in a box in the garage, and probably fully functional). Same with Empire and B1.

wbarnhill said:
You are standing on the flight line at an airport. A Cessna 172 and a Robinson R44 are nearby.
>

:D

I love it. You've obviously played the game.

wbarnhill said:
So, who is up for coding an aviation based text adventure? ;)

LOL...I'm in. Uh...if it's in basic. :p

10 REM Aviation Text Adventure...

:p:p:p

p8cleared2land said:
LOL...I'm in. Uh...if it's in basic. :p

10 REM Aviation Text Adventure...

:p:p:p

As I remember they released the Zork engine AND the games and there was port to a lot of platforms including Palm OS. Those are available on the web (not Googling now.)

Try Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy. I once was geeky enough to run through it printing each turn as I went.

What I'm not sure of is if there is the authoring tool which would make writing new games a (relative) breeze.

Last edited:
So, anyone ever try (in desperation) feeding thermal paper in to a Silent 700 terminal, upside down, because the only roll they had, had run out, and they were nowhere near done with the game?

Naw, me either...:fcross:

...hour upon hour upon hour, dialed-in with an acoustic coupler modem...

jangell said:
Look at real benchmarks of a processor. Do not go by the clock speed. Depending on which core you have there are many processors with SLOWER clock speeds that will run circles around what yours.

My new Core 2 Duo processor got a warning from Counter-Strike that it might be too slow. :)

wbarnhill said:
And still able to run every game out there. :D

Built this machine back in March of 2004, and will be retiring it in March 2007, just realized today when I ordered the only upgrade to it that I've had it for that long and it's still able to run everything out there. I just wanted a slight bit more umph for these last few months before I turn it into a TiVo.

The upgrade I ordered was a new XFX 6800XT and a NEC 16X DVD+/-RW.

What's the longest you've had a computer before retiring it?
My home machine is now going on nine years old. The box, power supply, dial up modem, sound card and 3 inch floppy are all original. The ASUS mother board, Celeron PIV knockoff and the almost one gig of RAM are three years old, the NVIDEA 64 vidie card was way rad when I bought it four years ago! I've added a Studio video capture card, a six reader (for card media like those on camaras), cd r/rw dvd player, Lynksys wireless, and an additional four port USB bus (unfortunately the architecture will not support USB2). Not bad for a biologist!

I still have the original WIndows 95 disks, the windows 98 upgrade, and I'm now running on XP so I could replace the 30 gig harddrive that died last year (the original was 3 gig - woohoo!) with a 120 gig model.

The work machine is a new (4 months) HP. My old Gateway finally died, I inherited it from my partner four years ago after he ran out and bought a Dell because the Gateway was a "POS!" I upgraded the memory, dumped Windows 98 for Windows 2000 and it was the most stable machine in the shop for years.

Most people buy the newest super duper machine every other year for running a word processor programs and surfing Google. What a waste.

Last edited:
anumerick said:
And besides, the typical user doesn't run Linux or BSD. If your running either of this OS's your not a typical user.

The typical Mac user does, they just don't know it most of the time.

flyingcheesehead said:
The typical Mac user does, they just don't know it most of the time.
Lol. That's so true! :)

Back