3 Month TFR?

flytime

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Time
So I was playing around on SkyVector today (love that website!) trying to decide where to fly this weekend. I was thinking about circling Mt. Rainier, but SkyVector was showing a newly activated TFR for "rescue operations" covering the entire east side of the mountain. It's not unusual up there, with all the mountain climbers constantly falling off that thing, so glad I checked!

But then I noticed that it is effective until October 13th! Really? Is this standard for the FAA to impose a 3 month TFR when they don't have a good idea how long they really need it for? Or is this something new? I also noticed a bunch of fire-fighting TFR's for similarly long periods of time.

http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.jsp <==select Seattle Center TFR's to see what I am talking about

Last edited:
I've noticed that recently. Maybe it's easier to make them long term and cancel, than have them time out and re-issue.

It's a new policy then, yeah? Earlier this year there was a TFR over the site of the Oso mudslide here in Washington state while rescue and recovery operations were underway. The date was extended multiple times.

Back