3 Key Factors: Runway Emergencies

What is takeoff speed? I know Vr and I know what speed I am looking to accelerate to, usually Vx. But I have never paid attention to exactly what speed the wheels leave the ground at. Other than actually doing doing a takeoff and noting exactly at what speed you become airborne at is there a good rule of thumb to determine 70% of takeoff speed? Vr plus 10%? Vx minus 10%? I'm kinda thinking just use 70% of Vx.

Easy to see halfway point of a typical GA runway from overhead. Not so easy when you are on the runway. I rarely fly in/out of runways with "boards." Any tips?

Unless the runway is near critical length, half the length of the runway is a waste of time. I'd suggest using half of your calculated takeoff distance if you want to use a gouge that will give you an idea of how your airplane is performing on that particular takeoff.

To apply that to @Van Johnston 's post above, runway lights are normally 200' apart. If your takeoff distance is 1600 feet, half of that is four runway lights ahead when you pull onto the runway.

Last edited:
Back