3 GoPro cameras on plane while it crashes

A perfectly good road and he takes it to the trees? Granted that road may have been busy.

Wonder what type airplane.

Had he gone straight ahead, and to the left slightly it was on open field.

Tried to turn back? :mad2:

Aim right for the tree. That road sure looked slow and inviting. Of course it may have had power lines everywhere. Could have been his first test flight. If so, scout a 2 mile radius around the airport by car beforehand. Glad he made it out ok.

A perfectly good road and he takes it to the trees? Granted that road may have been busy.

Wonder what type airplane.

Flat bottom; side-tipping canopy. Maybe a CH-601 or something similar.

There appeared to be a clearing just beyond those trees so maybe he thought he had the glide slope to make that. While watching the first time I thought "wait - head left." Tough to second-guess though; pilot lived. The question I have is what happened to the engine?

This shows the right way to crash. You are supposed to 'fly through the crash'. The pilot hit the tree under control.

Had he done some sudden jerk on the stick he probably would have had a fatal stall/spin accident.

Wait for it.........

That will buff right out........

He didn't file a flight plan. :lol:

Looked like a power line ran right through the tree he landed in.

I didn't watch too closely, but I thought I saw some telephone poles on the left.

Dunno - might have been a tight turn to make the road. He certainly didn't seem to have much time to react. Looks like he picked a spot and did the best he could.

He walked away, so good job.

Glide ratio of a brick.

Maybe he should have left those four cameras and mounts off on the first flight and spent the time testing fuel flow, taxi tests, vapor lock tendencies after a long taxi. I know it paid off for me. Think of the weight and drag of three externally mounted and one internally mounted camera. At least it was not painted. Hope he had insurance.

I think it's a good example of "you will go where your head is pointed".

That strip slightly to the left looks almost like it was purpose-built for an engine-out, but maybe he knows stuff about that field that we don't.

Looks like he was enjoying the flight and the tree took him by surprise ,looked like engine was performing well.im sure he is glad he recorded the flight.

Well he didnt seem too concerned about it with his gopro and that cop

The whole time I was watching it, I was saying road, road, road, OH NOT THE TREE!

Maybe he should have left those four cameras and mounts off on the first flight and spent the time testing fuel flow, taxi tests, vapor lock tendencies after a long taxi. I know it paid off for me. Think of the weight and drag of three externally mounted and one internally mounted camera. At least it was not painted. Hope he had insurance.

I'm not knowledgeable in homebuilts, but that would have been my first priority.

"a heavily wooded aerea behind Fast Eddie's Tire Repair..."

God bless Texas. Hahaha. That's funny.

SMH.

Engine didn't sound healthy on takeoff or above the runway, probably no taxi text beforehand, and he puts it in the trees.

Granted, he seemed to be trying to swing back to the road, but as others have pointed out, why try the impossible turn instead of the nice, open, inviting field?

That's what I was thinking. Plane just dropped like a rock.

And it looked like he never gained much altitude either. Either he was developing problem during the climb or it climbed like a rock as well.

Sounds like it dropped a little rpm's about 50 ft off the ground but that could be from the load on the engine from the climb. I'm always watching the rpm's on climb out especially after rotation just to make sure I'm not loosing power. He had plenty of time and runway to put it back down.

He made some bad decisions. Perfectly good field right in front of him but he chose to bank the plane to the right. What was he thinking?

Call me a cynic, but something in this whole video does not seem right to me, almost as it was staged. Why someone would do that, I cannot fathom a guess, but some possibilities exist. It just seems to me that the pilot was too calm, and he friends were there almost before he got out of the plane. Maybe it is the editing of the thing, but it just seems too clean.

Call me a cynic, but something in this whole video does not seem right to me, almost as it was staged. Why someone would do that, I cannot fathom a guess, but some possibilities exist. It just seems to me that the pilot was too calm, and he friends were there almost before he got out of the plane. Maybe it is the editing of the thing, but it just seems too clean.

I think it is editing. That's a Texas DPS officer walking up to him afterwards, not one of his friends. And a trooper likely wouldn't have arrived THAT fast even if he saw the accident happen.

The title says "GoPro3" cameras... I'm assuming by your response that you've never seen one.... haha, drag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just think, a few feet shorter and Fast Eddie's could have been wiped out! :eek:

(check out Google Maps street view, 5606 East Veterans Memorial Boulevard, Killeen TX)

Back