3 Dimensional Object Drawing

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I need a tool (hopefully free) that will allow me to draw a 3 dimensional object in space with scale dimensions.

We're upgrading our closets. The closets in most of the rooms have flat ceilings except the master closet; it's got a slope that leads onto a flat ceiling. With the help of a floor planning app I have been able to map the dimensions of the master suite. When I got to the ceiling I just did it as a flat ceiling and emailed their support to ask how to do sloped ceilings. They replied that it can't be done with the software (Doh!).

Suggestions? I have some measurements and with the help of some geometry and trigonometry I should be able to calculate the remaining measurements.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 25
SketchUp would probably work, but if its simply calculating a height of a ceiling....I'm betting graph paper/pencil might be easiest. No?

Grrrrr....I just hate it when people make sense. Ruins all the fun.
:D

TANSTAAFL is my motto, but it doesn't help with drawing, by hand or with CAD. On the other hand, SOHCOHTOA isn't needed much to draw the ceiling, just measure the height at the walls and the highest point, and figure how far the high point is from one wall.

Sketchup is a whole lot easier than the 3D CAD program we use at work. Just finished a weeklong class for it . . . Actually, they call it "solid modeling" and not CAD, guess they're insulted by the thought of "drawing."

Print your drawing above, use a red marker to draw the high points of the ceiling and put the heights in. It will be good practice for me. What king of output are you looking for?

Thanks Hank. I will need to resolve a licensing issue with the software and then I can export the drawing with measurements and then can provide to you. Interestingly, I also need the practice as it's been oh....about 2 decades since CADKey (yeah, how old is that) when I did this type of stuff.

The photo depicts the 9.5ft wall as seen from inside the closet.

The 52.75" intersection is measured from an imaginary point of where the wall would be if it were vertical. Essentially, the measurements of two legs of the right triangle that forms the ceiling.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 6
How's this? I did't really follow all of your notes, so this does not look exactly right, but this is what I did in SketchUp

Attachments

• Closet.jpg
    Closet.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 16
How's this? I did't really follow all of your notes, so this does not look exactly right, but this is what I did in SketchUp
There are a few dimensions that aren't correct but from your drawing I was able to ascertain that there is a critical measurement that I missed taking which is the distance of the 9.5ft wall to the door opening. I did calculate the angle at 15.12 degrees using trig (and an online calculator). I'll see if I can play around with SketchUp in the next couple of days. I appreciate you taking your time to do that drawing.

Back