3 degrees?

cherokeeflyboy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokeeflyboy
The glide slope is typically around 3 degrees. What is this 3 degrees relative to? is this like a 3 degree grade? when flying, the approach seems ALOT
steeper than 3 degrees relative to the surface. Just knowing that it is 3 degrees is not enough info for me.

KD

cherokeeflyboy said:
The glide slope is typically around 3 degrees. What is this 3 degrees relative to? is this like a 3 degree grade? when flying, the approach seems ALOT
steeper than 3 degrees relative to the surface. Just knowing that it is 3 degrees is not enough info for me.

KD
It really is a three degree slope, when so noted.

Don't forget the aircraft is moving forward fairly fast relative to descent. I think it is as little as 1/2 degree high or low will give you a change in the VASI lights.

cherokeeflyboy said:

KD

cherokeeflyboy said:

KD

The angle between the intersection of the glide path and the "flat" earth is 3 degrees.

cherokeeflyboy said:
when flying, the approach seems ALOT
steeper than 3 degrees relative to the surface.
Interesting comment, because a visual approach is typically steeper than 3 degrees.

Ken Ibold said:
Interesting comment, because a visual approach is typically steeper than 3 degrees.

If you fly the ILS glide slope the PAPI or VASI will agree with Glide Slope Indicator.

I have seen ILS's with as high as 3.9 degree slope.

Joe

Areeda said:
If you fly the ILS glide slope the PAPI or VASI will agree with Glide Slope Indicator.

Generally true but there are exceptions, IIRC. IOW don't count on it.

cherokeeflyboy said:

KD

I don't know why it seems steeper than 3 degrees, perhaps you're confusing the airplane's pitch attitude with the approach angle (with flaps the pitch angle can be steeper). A 3 degree GS (or VASI etc) means the angle between the glidepath and "level" (what a bubble level would show) is three degrees. That's pretty close to 300 ft (318 is almost exact) of vertical for each 1nm across the ground.

Thanks all. Lance your explanation put it into perspective for me I appreciate it

Back