3-Day IFR Adventure

AndrewX

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Later this morning my flight instructor and I are heading out on a 3-day IFR training trip. We are starting in Nashville and heading to the Florida Keys. The first leg: MQY --> PDK. I want to thank everyone on POA for the advice, support, and encouragement. I'm very excited about the trip. I'll post updates from the journey.

Weather is great in the Southeast so you'll probably be wearing foggles for most of it. Yes do keep us updated, and most of all, have fun!

The trip was a huge success! Made it all the way from Nashville to Key West and back in a 3-day weekend. 22.4 hours total. A lot of actual. 10 approaches and a low pass over the space shuttle landing facility.

MQY SYI PDK AYS TIX TTS HWO KEYW KPBI PGD TLH HSV MQY

Here are a few photos

Very cool! Looks like a fun weekend was had!

Looks like an awesome trip! A good taste of what the flexibility of having the rating can get you. I'm just now getting started on IR myself. Enjoy the rest of the training!

Loved the picture of Merritt Island (the strip of land after the shuttle landing facility pictures). I grew up there and my dad's still there. I could see the 520 Causeway, SR3, Merritt Island Airport (KCOI), Pineda Causeway, my old Jr. High School, the fill islands my brother and I used to row to, and the flats where my friends and I would would wade and fish. As a kid, I would stand on the community dock and wonder where the planes flying up and down the Intracoastal waterway were going.

Great pictures. Thanks for posting them!

Very nice! I have a trip to KEYW planned for the fall. Should have my IR by then. I’ll try to get an approach to the shuttle landing facility in ;)

I was starting to enjoy your pics until I saw ATL in the second one, gave me nightmares last night. Nah JK, they were great pics. Glad you enjoyed your adventure. Did you get any actual, or was it mostly foggles?

I was starting to enjoy your pics until I saw ATL in the second one, gave me nightmares last night. Nah JK, they were great pics. Glad you enjoyed your adventure. Did you get any actual, or was it mostly foggles?

I got 8 hours of actual. Many times we asked for altitude changes to get up into the clouds. The controllers in FL were extremely busy but amazingly accommodating. One of the things I learned was to ask for what you want. On two occasions we asked for a heading change to stay within gliding distance of land. No problem. When they said: "expect the visual," I always asked for an approach. They were granted every time.
The controller couldn't accommodate our low pass of the shuttle facility, so he recommended we cancel IFR. So we canceled, did our low pass, filed a new flight plan via FSS in the air, and continued on. Very good experience.

The foggles are miserable. Who wants to fly over the Keys with foggles on? I elected to take them off for the more scenic parts. I now have all the requirements met for Part 61 experience, and I've passed my written. I'm looking to schedule my checkride for the end the of April.

Oh yea, I wore one of those hoods when I did my instrument, and actual much better. Glad you were able to coordinate all your requests w/ ATC. I did a CFI renewal back in the 80s with a local DPE and when we were finished he asked if I wanted to fly over the Shuttle facility. Back then it was restricted airspace and I was surprised we could do it. We flew down the landing strip and the shuttle was on the ramp atop the 747, having just returned from the 2nd shuttle launch I think. 8 hours quite a bit of actual, good deal. Good luck on your check ride.

Looks like you had a great trip,good to see you had some actual,good luck on your check ride.

The foggles are miserable. Who wants to fly over the Keys with foggles on? I elected to take them off for the more scenic parts. I now have all the requirements met for Part 61 experience, and I've passed my written. I'm looking to schedule my checkride for the end the of April.

I really prefer the half doggy cone plastic hood for long flights under the hood. The foggles become totally annoying in any kind of sun from the front or just being on your face for more than an hour. Especially if you have prescription glasses. And no, the clip on foggles suck. Don’t even go there.

Back