3 blade vs 2 blade prop.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Now that I've learned that my right prop has a cracked hub I looking at several alternatives to resolve the problem. The two that keep coming out on top are to replace both props with new Hartzells which are available in two or three blade versions for my B55 Baron.

I'm familiar with most of the pros and cons of 2 vs 3 blades and with 260 HP per side I definitely don't need 3 blades, but the lower noise level is very attractive to me. The cost difference is less than 2 AMU (<$2k) and there's probably at least that much increase in the plane's value with 3 blades because the market likes them better. I do intend to keep this plane for several more years but chances are (baring a gear problem) I won't be needing much in the way of prop maintenance for a long time wiht new props and there's not much difference in the overhaul cost between the two versions of Hartzells. The reasons I'm leaning towards new props has to do with the age (40 years) of the ones I have and the propensity for McCauley threaded hubs to crack. And even if I don't get another hub crack, my blades may not have enough metal left to make it through another overhaul.

So I guess the big question for me is whether or not the cabin noise issue is significant enough to justify the slight loss of cruise speed (I'm told it won't be more than a knot or two) and the reduction in useful load with a 3 blade prop. Does anyone in PoA land have experience with this?

Now that I've learned that my right prop has a cracked hub I looking at several alternatives to resolve the problem. The two that keep coming out on top are to replace both props with new Hartzells which are available in two or three blade versions for my B55 Baron.

I'm familiar with most of the pros and cons of 2 vs 3 blades and with 260 HP per side I definitely don't need 3 blades, but the lower noise level is very attractive to me. The cost difference is less than 2 AMU (<$2k) and there's probably at least that much increase in the plane's value with 3 blades because the market likes them better. I do intend to keep this plane for several more years but chances are (baring a gear problem) I won't be needing much in the way of prop maintenance for a long time wiht new props and there's not much difference in the overhaul cost between the two versions of Hartzells. The reasons I'm leaning towards new props has to do with the age (40 years) of the ones I have and the propensity for McCauley threaded hubs to crack. And even if I don't get another hub crack, my blades may not have enough metal left to make it through another overhaul.

So I guess the big question for me is whether or not the cabin noise issue is significant enough to justify the slight loss of cruise speed (I'm told it won't be more than a knot or two) and the reduction in useful load with a 3 blade prop. Does anyone in PoA land have experience with this?

I'm not the expert you seek but this guy is,

http://www.pponk.com/

Read what Steve has to say at the site, but also call him he is very knowledgeable on props and has done a bunch of testing on 2 vs 3 blades.

Purely subjective and on a different airframe, but when I swapped my 2 blade for a 3 blade on my old Lance, I noticed the noise frequency was better handled by the ANR, climb was slightly better, it was smoother, no cruise speed penalty I could detect.

Back