3.0 for JVL/7A4/RFD/ARR x-country

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
Finally, some decent flying weather.
Took the flying club's 140 out for a ride. Went up to JVL from ARR for lunch at the new Kealy's Kafe. Gas was $4.25 for 100LL. Needless to say, we topped off. Shot the (practice) ILS RWY 32 Approach under the Foggles. Good practice.
We were the only plane on the ramp by the restaurant for quite a while. Another Cherokee joined us after about 20 minutes. The restaurant was not too crowded, but the beer-battered cod was good. Steve enjoyed his burger. They gave him quite a lot of fries. We both enjoyed the clam chowder soup.
With full tanks, it was too nice to go straight back to ARR. So I decided to scout 7A4 field. I may try to set up an air race from 7A4 to CIR (the northern tip of Illinois to the southern tip). The race would be Memorial Day weekend.
7A4 is narrow and rough. That should limit the heavy metal competition in the air race. The landing went well. It puts a hitch in your "giddyup" to set down on a 30 foot wide strip when you have been living on 75 to 100 foot wide concrete for 10+ years.
Almost nobody was home at the field, but I called the airport manager and he was excited about the idea of an air race on May 25, 2008.
So we headed east toward RFD to shoot a (practice) LOC BC RWY 19 approach. After the ease of the ILS 32 approach at JVL, this was a humbling experience. Not too bad, but a little rusty. So much for "just like riding a bike..."
We went in to Emery AIR to enjoy their free pop. I have bought enough gas here not to feel bad about taking advantage of the free drink. We hashed over the FARs in their conference room. Part 61 and Part 91. General Aviation, thank you very much.
Departing RFD with TRSA service, we headed back to ARR. I was looking forward to the practice VOR RWY 15 approach to even the score for the dodgy Back Course approach.
Our wonderful friends from Chicago Approach were kind enough to give us vectors for the final approach class. I try to stick up for them. But Grant gets the last laugh on this subject.
He asked how we would terminate the approach. We said, "Full stop landing."
The Chicago Approach guy said, "Good."
Meanwhile, as far as nailing the VOR approach, no such luck. The JOT VOR signal is weak from 20+ miles out. That is my excuse for finding myself right of course. The DG may have precessed a touch. Safety pilot Steve stuck up for me (which I appreciate) and said that the VOR needle was acting odd. Maybe they are working on the VOR (I hope).
Darn it, I am just going to have to fly some more to get proficient!:rolleyes:
But I need an IPC before I can challenge the clouds again, anyway, so no big deal.
Still, it sure was good to go flying. Four reasonably respectable landings.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Enjoyed the write-up, Bob. Thanks for sharing. What kind of air race are you planning?

Our wonderful friends from Chicago Approach were kind enough to give us vectors for the final approach class. I try to stick up for them. But Grant gets the last laugh on this subject.
He asked how we would terminate the approach. We said, "Full stop landing."
The Chicago Approach guy said, "Good."
:blueplane:
ApacheBob
I thought I'd let that lay, but then again...:goofy:

7A4 is a fun airport. I landed there for the CONUS challenge one weekend. You are right, it is narrow, almost too narrow to turn around on unless you swing left before right or vis versa.

As for the JOT VOR I have not had problems with it in the past but I did notice the following NOTAM from March

03/005 - NAV VOR AIRBORNE RCVR CHKPT UNUSABLE. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 12 MAR 18:45 2008

Sounds like there maybe some problems with it now.

7A4 is narrow and rough. That should limit the heavy metal competition in the air race. The landing went well. It puts a hitch in your "giddyup" to set down on a 30 foot wide strip when you have been living on 75 to 100 foot wide concrete for 10+ years.

When our instructors at the University of Dubuque wanted to challenge us, that's where we would go. I haven't been there in at least four years but I remember it well. I wonder if the UD planes still go in there often?

Back