2nd solo

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I recounted my first solo adventure last week, a few hours after the shootout (http://www.thekansascitychannel.com...217/detail.html).

I mentioned then that I was so busy concentrating that I didn't have time to even think about being alone in the plane.

What a difference a week makes.

My second solo would have been a few days ago, but the winds didn't cooperate. Too variable, too strong. I still flew, but just practiced handling the winds.

Last night the winds were a direct crosswind, higher than I was signed off for. Best thing to do? Go up and practice. Handled the x-winds, got a new endorsement, and away I went.

This time, though, I wasn't as tight and was able to enjoy the flights. Watching the other traffic, seeing the reflection of the sun off my airplane onto the ground 1000 feet below. Watching the shadows meet the other aircraft as they landed while I was on downwind.

The whole package, what a way to spend an evening. I got that picture in my head of the Slim Pickens character at the end of Dr. Strangelove, swinging the cowboy hat and yelling 'Yee-Ha'. That was me last night.

My next solo trip will be around the practice area. Can't wait to leave the nest.

Matt

Back