2nd Session -- lotsa off airport!

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
My second R44 transition session was even more fun than the first. This time it was with the wife of the CFI from the day before. I believe this was the first time I've flown with a female CFI -- and she was even a better instructor than her husband, and he's good!

We did a whole bunch of approaches (steep, real steep, and normal) into two areas near a quarry (the touchdown spots are shown in pale red on the USGS air photo). The landing spots were too confined to do anything but max performance takeoffs (pull pitch to about 25" MP, maintain a level attitude, after clearing the trees, nose down to normal t/o attitude). That Raven II went up like a rocket with just the two of us aboard -- never any question about clearing the trees!

We returned to the airport after that and did some more patterns and some quick stops. Joanne finally had me do a coordination exercise I had never been exposed to before: land on the numbers, turn 90 degrees left so as to be facing away from the center line, then right cyclic to start flying sideways down the runway, then left pedal to get the helicopter slowly spinning all the while staying over the center line and moving along it. That ain't all that easy, folks...

We really had a great day -- I stuck around the airport for a few hours and each of the four of us came back from our sessions with big s**t eatin' grins and talking about how we couldn't wait to take delivery of our Raven II :yes:

Attachments

• quarry-vf.jpg
    quarry-vf.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 32
Bob other than more power how does flying the R44 Differ from flying the R22?

AdamZ said:
Bob other than more power how does flying the R44 Differ from flying the R22?
In a sense, not a lot. It's heavier and more stable, with lots more rotor inertia... it's a real blast to fly, though -- the next best thing to a turbine, Adam :yes:

RotaryWingBob said:
land on the numbers, turn 90 degrees left so as to be facing away from the center line, then right cyclic to start flying sideways down the runway, then left pedal to get the helicopter slowly spinning all the while staying over the center line and moving along it. That ain't all that easy, folks...

If hovering is like chewing gum while rubbing your tummy and balancing on a bowling ball, your "coordination exercize" sounds like doing all that inverted in a handstand. It's a good thing that flying (especially helicopters) is so much fun, otherwise it'd be consider cruel and unusual punishment.

Looks like you're ready for a slot on Jim Cheatham's Showcopter team! :)

reverse20crossoverDSC_0659.jpg

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
If hovering is like chewing gum while rubbing your tummy and balancing on a bowling ball, your "coordination exercize" sounds like doing all that inverted in a handstand. It's a good thing that flying (especially helicopters) is so much fun, otherwise it'd be consider cruel and unusual punishment.
Can't argue with any of that, Lance. Here's the really strange part -- of all the skills you need to fly, for most of us, hovering is the hardest to master. Once you have a bunch of hours under your belt, it becomes effortless! Somehow your brain, eyes, hands and feet all talk amongst themselves leaving the pilot free to enjoy the ride. Hover, talk on the radio, talk to PAX, all at once? Piece of cake :yes:

RotaryWingBob said:
We returned to the airport after that and did some more patterns and some quick stops. Joanne finally had me do a coordination exercise I had never been exposed to before: land on the numbers, turn 90 degrees left so as to be facing away from the center line, then right cyclic to start flying sideways down the runway, then left pedal to get the helicopter slowly spinning all the while staying over the center line and moving along it. That ain't all that easy, folks...

We called those Pirouettes, Bob. They are quite the task if there's 7 or 8 knots of wind or more for sure. If you can keep the pedal turn and direction of motion constant and in harmony, they are as graceful as a ballerina. And oh so fun!

Back