2nd Flight with my Mom!

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
Well,
I don't know if you guys remember for sure, but I had a post on here about my Mom going flying with me short after my check-ride! Well she freaked out on me and we only lasted about 5 minutes in the air, so this last Saturday I called her to see if she would like to go again.

To my surprise she said, "yes" and we had a wonderful time, she was pretty comfortable and the air was completely smooth, we flew for .6 this time and I told her the next flight will have to have a destination and lunch or something.

Just thought I would share!

Rudy said:

Rudy, good for you! I suppose your flying Grandad is on your father's side?

Bill Jennings said:
Rudy, good for you! I suppose your flying Grandad is on your father's side?
Yes he is!
Mom had an incident once with smoke in the cockpit on a connection flight, they had to make and emergency descent and landing, everything was fine, but she has been a little nervous flying since then.

I think I am gonna break her of her nervousness though.

Rudy said:
Well,
I don't know if you guys remember for sure, but I had a post on here about my Mom going flying with me short after my check-ride! Well she freaked out on me and we only lasted about 5 minutes in the air, so this last Saturday I called her to see if she would like to go again.

Rudy are you sure that was your mom it sounded like my flight with my mom. YOur lucky she is willing to give it another go, mine never will.

Scott

Rudy said:
Well,
I don't know if you guys remember for sure, but I had a post on here about my Mom going flying with me short after my check-ride! Well she freaked out on me and we only lasted about 5 minutes in the air,

Nothing quite like a freaked out Mom to cut a flight real short.

congrats rudy! good going on the mom. next step: get her to get her PPL :)

NickDBrennan said:
congrats rudy! good going on the mom. next step: get her to get her PPL :)
Haha, now I will guarantee that my Mom will never, ever get her PPL,
I asked her if she wanted to take the controls and she said "NO, NO, NO, three times" I said, "relax I got it, haha"

Rudy said:
Very cool, Rudy. My mom was my first passenger. No one else had the guts to go flying with a 20-year-old new pilot, which is understandable to me now. :eek:

That was a long time ago, by the way.

My mom never struck me as being the adventurous type. She still doesn't. However, she told me a story about dating a guy (before my dad) who she met in a hospital where she worked. He was there because he crashed his airplane! After he recovered she went flying with him a few times. This had to be back in the early 1950s. So I guess flying with me wouldn't seem scary at all. :rolleyes:

Everskyward said:
Very cool, Rudy. My mom was my first passenger. No one else had the guts to go flying with a 20-year-old new pilot, which is understandable to me now. :eek:

That was a long time ago, by the way.

My mom never struck me as being the adventurous type. She still doesn't. However, she told me a story about dating a guy (before my dad) who she met in a hospital where she worked. He was there because he crashed his airplane! After he recovered she went flying with him a few times. This had to be back in the early 1950s. So I guess flying with me wouldn't seem scary at all. :rolleyes:
Haha,
Yeah i think mom was more scared about going with an 18 year old, rather than the actual fear of flying itself. Before we went this time i showed her my logbook and said look mom, "i have flown 120 hours and landed this plane 250 times and i am still here, we will be fine"

Rudy said:
Yeah i think mom was more scared about going with an 18 year old, rather than the actual fear of flying itself.
Ha! At the risk of sounding like a mom or grandma, you'll understand this better when you're older. Or you can be like me and never grow up. :D

But it's just a perception anyway. You can be unsafe at 60 too. :dunno:

Glad you're having a good time with your flying! :cheerswine:

Oops, shouldn't do that, you're underage. :p

I understand that it had to be a little unnerving for someone who doesn't know much about flying to go and fly with someone so young.
I am glad my passengers do go, and hopefully so are they!!

By the way: Thanks for the Cheers, LOL

wow...you gentlemen are quite lucky.

I would love to share something like this with my mom.

unfortunately, she keeps thinking i should just quit flying and get a job at a bank. (flying is too dangerous)

HA.

maybe someday she'll go with me; until then...ill just keep takin my dad out for those expensive burgers.

Sounds kinda like the first time I took my wife flying, although the flight lasted about 40 minutes!

Big dumbhead pilot (me) who likes to fly real tight patterns took off and made my usual sharp turn onto downwind. I hear a big gasp over the intercom. It takes a few seconds for it to sink in that maybe the woman isn't real comfortable at high bank angles. After that I kept the bank angles down to maybe 20 degrees which made her a whole lot happier :)

I'm not sure I'll ever get her up in a helicopter, though :(

Sounds like you did just fine...

mpartovi said:
wow...you gentlemen are quite lucky.
Oooh, I think that's the first time Hello Kitty has been called a "gentleman". :eek:

Did she forget her cute little bow? Did she accidentally put it around her neck instead of in her hair? No.

Not to worry, it happens to me all the time. Yes, I know, my fault for not using my real name. :blowingkisses:

Back