2nd dual in the 182

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Last night after work:

He asked me what I wanted to do, so we started with a short field takeoff. Man, with 20 flaps and pitch for 60, that thing really gets off the runway. Stayed in the pattern, then did a credable short field landing to a stop, then normal takeoff. Around the pattern again, but held TPA until base to final turn. Rolled out 1000 above the runway, pulled the power, put in 20 flaps, put the right rudder on the carpet, used left aileron to stay lined up, and pitched for the numbers. Nice 1200-1500fpm slip the whole way down to a touch and go.

We then departed to TYS (about 90nm away), and I had flew until intercepting V115, then he showed me how to engage George. Let George track the nav, and then worked on learning some of the features of the 550 MFD and 880 MHWS. I am being spoiled, XM NEXRAD, METARS, and TAF's in the cockpit are wonderful. Traffic and terrain warning is nice as well.

When Knoxville started to vector us, I donned the hood, put George to sleep, and hand few ILS 23R. I wasn't expecting this to be a very good approach because I hadn't flown an approach in two weeks, had never flown an approach using an HSI, and had never flown an approach in a 182. I suprised myself by flying a quite good ILS to DH.

Went missed, and departed back to CHA, this time going GPS direct, and having George follow the GPS. Joe showed me how to setup my altitude and vertical speed pre-selects, and George did the climbout and intercepted cruise altitude.

We then set up George to fly the ILS 20 back at CHA, and I used the altitude pre-select and VS to do the letdown, and used the heading bug to fly vectors as given to the inbound intercept course.

Then George intercepted the LOC and then GS, and flew a perfect ILS down, I hit the interupt at 300 and took the landing. I flew this one without hood just to see how the autopilot flies the approach.

We didn't get a chance to re-visit MCA, but I will on the last dual lesson.

So, goals for last dual lesson: MCA, and a variety of approaches, both hand flown and coupled using the autopilot.

I really like this plane, and could get quite spoiled with all of the electronic goodies.

Bill Jennings said:
I wasn't expecting this to be a very good approach because I hadn't flown an approach in two weeks, had never flown an approach using an HSI, and had never flown an approach in a 182. I suprised myself by flying a quite good ILS to DH.

IME it's relatively easy to learn the basics of HSI nav. The difficulty comes from trying to re-learn how to live without one once you get used to it.

Sounds like fun. You are realizing what a serious airplane a well-equipped C182 can be.

lancefisher said:
IME it's relatively easy to learn the basics of HSI nav. The difficulty comes from trying to re-learn how to live without one once you get used to it.

I think you're right, it is nice and easy to determine your intercepts using the HSI. Luckily, two of our three planes have HSI.

Bill Jennings said:
I think you're right, it is nice and easy to determine your intercepts using the HSI. Luckily, two of our three planes have HSI.

Whenever I go back to a DG and separate CDI, I have to mentally superimpose the two with the CDI rotated to match the heading.

Back