2nd class medical exam

U

Unregistered

I am considering training for the commercial ticket. Before I invest time and money, I thought it wise to first obtain the 2nd class medical. What is the difference in a third class from the examination point of view? What will I be "tested" for? Is vision the main thing?

I am not Aopa member so these pages are unavailable to me. I do not intend on continuing membership either.
Thanx anyway Bruce.

Unregistered said:
I am considering training for the commercial ticket. Before I invest time and money, I thought it wise to first obtain the 2nd class medical. What is the difference in a third class from the examination point of view? What will I be "tested" for? Is vision the main thing?

AFAIK, and as noted in the AOPA tables Bruce referenced, the differences are related to vision: 1. 20/20 corrected distant vision for Class II versus 20/40 corrected for Class III, and, 2. Intermediate vision 20/40 corrected for Class II versus NA (not applicable) for Class III.

Putting this in a personal perspective, my Class II medical has always required me to wear corrective lenses whereas when I first started getting Class II medicals I could have passed a Class III without that requirement.

Note that a second class medical is not required to take the commercial practical and oral test...the second class medical is required only to exercise the privileges of the commercial ticket.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Note that a second class medical is not required to take the commercial practical and oral test...the second class medical is required only to exercise the privileges of the commercial ticket.

Len
Yes that is true but a lot of time and money would be wasted if for some reason you do not qualify for 2nd class med. Why have the Commercial if you cannot exercise the privileges, except for the fun learning the maneuvers?

Unregistered said:
Yes that is true but a lot of time and money would be wasted if for some reason you do not qualify for 2nd class med. Why have the Commercial if you cannot exercise the privileges, except for the fun learning the maneuvers?
CFI-CFII-MEI-MEII? :yes:

Unregistered said:
You have to correct to 20/20 at far, 32" and 16". You have to have the essentialy tendancy of your eyes to diverge measured...and if it exceeds limits, an opthalmologist is required.

Unregistered said:

The "privileges" are quite limited. Just what do you expect to be able to do?

Unregistered said:

Well, that was my main reason. I have no plans to fly for pay.

Carol said:
Well, that was my main reason. I have no plans to fly for pay.

Well, that was part of my reason. The other reasons I did it were: 1) because doing it would improve my skills, 2) at some point I want to do Multi, and I'd rather have the Comm before the Multi, and 3) because the insurance agent recommended it to show the underwriter that I had a commitment to training and skill improvement....

And both Carol's and Bill's reasons agreed with mine - and neither require the Class II medical (although I did get it to see if I could - it has since converted to a Class III with the passage of a year).

Unregistered said:
Eventually obtain an CFI and actually get paid for it.

If you're on a fast track to CFI okay, but if by "eventually" you mean a few years down the road I wouldn't worry about the Class II yet. Things change in a few years. The Commercial is worth it just for the improvement in flying skills - as Dr. Bruce put it once - "it's the antidote for the IR".

bbchien said:
You have to correct to 20/20 at far, 32" and 16". You have to have the essentialy tendancy of your eyes to diverge measured...and if it exceeds limits, an opthalmologist is required.

Thanks Doctor, is this the ONLY difference????

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back