2nd Class medical deferment

C

Cali Flyer

Hello everyone!

I recently started to finally pursue my dream career and in the process of applying for my 2nd class medical with a local AME was told that he was going to defer because I had a misdemeanor simple battery on my history. He made it seem like it was no big deal and it would only take me more time, which he reasoned that since I was still in the early stages of training that it wouldn't slow me down.

To give full backstory, I was convicted of a simple battery here in California which is defined as a non-violent offense as the legal definition is "the defendant intentionally and unlawfully touched another person in a harmful or offensive manner." Its considered a non-violent crime because it was not elevated due to no harm being done. More specifically I wrestled with a roommate in college and a couple months later he decided to press charges and sue me in civil court. The reason why I am bringing this up here is because the case was originally framed as being racially motivated, though I was found innocent of anything relating to that. Everyone under oath testified that I had been nothing but respectful to everyone I interacted with, and I even had letters of reference to my character from almost all the members of my local P.D. and even the mayor of the smallish town I grew up in.

Knowing what I know now, I would have definitely scheduled a consultation first and got all my documents in order, but I just wanted to ask here, am I in trouble? This was a good 8-9 years ago, and I was sentenced to 40 hours community service, a fine, probation, and an online class. Reading around elsewhere my research seems to suggest that this shouldn't be a big issue and is more akin to hoop jumping to ensure I'm not trying to falsify or anything similar, but I'll admit I'm scared. I have never really thought of a life outside of aviation and most of my choices have been with the intent of getting me into a cockpit. I realize I made a dumb mistake by wrestling and I'm not trying to mitigate any of that, I also know that racial stuff is pretty bad, though it was pretty clear in court that those charges were a pretty big overreach. So... am I in any sort of trouble here?

Also, beyond the court sentencing documents, should I provide any of those letters of references and or a personal statement from me?

The court documents (good that you put these together) certainly help. If you had a statement saying you completed your probation (or whatever sentence you received) without issues, that would also help. They may still send you out for the PPP requirements (a battery of psych tests that takes about a morning to complete, and then a read from a psychiatrist about your general condition, that takes as many sessions as the psych thinks he needs to know you). You won't find out until your application makes it through the queues and someone makes a read on it. After that, it's a pretty quick decision once you fork over all the information they want.

send nothing further ... wait for FAA instruction. If questions remain ... repost your specific new question(s). The cows have left the barn! I think you will sail through!

Lou, and Cali, I handle it differently (having been through this recently with an airman).
I do a criminal background search (a commercial one).
DMV search, last 10 years of licensure.
and a letter from a supervisor, and send it in.

Now not during shutdown, but when the agency is operating, if you can show it was a one and only, and is greater than 5 years ago, no DUIs, and he's a good citizen, the agency issues this in about 5 weeks. Warning and letter of eligibility. I didn't issue my last one of these because of relative lack of Huevos.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back