2nd Class medical and vision acuity

K

Klaus

Hi,
I'll move to USA next summer and I'd like to train for a CPL and so I'm in need of a 2nd class medical.

I have some vision acuity problems due astigmatism/hypermetropia in the right eye.
My current situation is:
left eye 20/20 (slightly) corrected
right eye 20/22 corrected (here in EU we use x/10 measure scale, it's actually 9/10)
both eye corrected 20/20

I already have an EASA PPL with EU 2nd class medical (equivalent to US 3rd class).
Do I have any chance to get a 2nd class medical in US or is better I start looking for a lasik?

When the acuity in one of my eyes stopped meeting the second class standard, my AME told me that I could get a SODA (statement of demonstrated ability), which requires a flight with an examiner. (I never did it because I didn't have much need for commercial privileges.)

You don't need a 2nd class medical to train for the commercial pilot license. You can do that under 3rd class.

But if you exercise your CPL privileges, then you do need the 2nd class medical.

Thank you for your replies.

@ Palmpilot: SODA can be a good solution, I'll consider it

@ AggieMike88: I know, but I need to be sure I can get a 2nd class medical before investing in training. Unfortunately it's not cheap

@ Matthew: yes, the value is consistent. All the visits in the past years gave the same result

@ AggieMike88: I know, but I need to be sure I can get a 2nd class medical before investing in training. Unfortunately it's not cheap

@ Matthew: yes, the value is consistent. All the visits in the past years gave the same result

Don't put a space after the @ sign..if you do it doesn't tag the person. Unless your intent was to NOT tag, in which case, why even bother with the @ sign :)

Welcome to the board?

Where in the USA are you planning to do the training?

You said 20/22 corrected. Contacts or glasses? Check with your eye guy, there might be one thing or another that can get you that extra two feet.

I am not an eye guy. I've never heard of 20/22. Is that a European thing, your 9/10 converted to US? I've only heard of 20/15, 20/20, 20/25, 20/30, up to 20/200 and beyond. In the US, I've never seen a chart that I can remember that has a 20/22 line. So if you can't see 20/20, the next line up is 20/25.

If there is a US place you can use, you might want to give it a try. On the US scale, you just might be good.

This is similar to the chart my eye doc uses:

eye-chart.jpg

This is what my AME uses, but I think his is older:

drivers_license_TITMUS_vision_tester.jpg

Last edited:
I'll move to Cypress, TX in the Houston area.

Matthew, yes, my vision acuity has been measured in EU values and it's 9/10. The 20/22 value come out from a conversion table I found on the Web.
I don't know where to find an US doc here. The only one I know is an FAA AME in Rome where I could take the medical but I don't know if it's a good idea to go there before being sure to pass. I imagine that if i fail it will result somewhere in the future. Am I right?

The only way to fail an FAA medical exam is to take the medical exam. If you call that AME and ask if he can give you just the eye test only, not a full exam, so you can find out where you are, then there should be nothing to bite you later because it would be a consultation, not an FAA medical exam.

Good point Matthew. I'll try to contact the AME asap with that request.

Where do you live now? You said EU, but that's pretty broad. If there is a US military base nearby, and you have some connections, you might be able to find a way to get a US-style exam someplace closer. The only caution I have is that there are different ways to do the exam - one of my AMEs uses the chart on the wall, another uses a desktop machine. If you are on the edge, it's possible to pass with one test and fail with another. You can do is to test yourself. Print out an eye chart (US version), and hang it on the wall. Stand back 20 feet and start reading the lines while someone else checks. I think you are allowed to miss 2(?) on the 20/20 line, but I'm no expert.

You are pretty close to 20/20, based on your conversion factors, 20/22 is closer to 20/20 than it is to 20/25.

Good luck to you, sir!

Thanks Matthew, I'm in Italy and the only two places I can go (for what I found) are Rome and Milan where there are two FAA approved AME.

Are you planning to get your class 2 there or when you come to the US?

I *think* there is the possibility that you can apply for the class 2, begin the exam, and if you don't meet the class 2 vision requirements but DO meet the class 3 that the AME can issue you a class 3 (20/40) rather than fail you for the class 2 (20/20). That would let you begin training until you can find a way to get to 20/20 in that right eye.

I don't think I'll be able to start the training right when I'll arrive in US (planned for early July) since I'll have other priorities (find a house, driving license, buying car.. search for job...etc...) so I was planning to get the medical in US once everything else is settled.

For this reason, I'd like to be sure I'll not have problems with my eyesight because if I need a lasik I prefer to do it here in Italy because it's cheaper and, since I read I'll have to wait 6 months after the surgery to apply for a medical, I'll be right in time.

When you contact him, emphasize this is a consult, not a real or "live" exam. And make sure you don't fill out any FAA Paperwork or medxpress.faa.gov

If you're moving to the Cypress area, does this mean you'll be going to ATP or American Flying at Hooks? Lots of AMEs in the area.

I *think* there is the possibility that you can apply for the class 2, begin the exam, and if you don't meet the class 2 vision requirements but DO meet the class 3 that the AME can issue you a class 3 (20/40) rather than fail you for the class 2 (20/20). That would let you begin training until you can find a way to get to 20/20 in that right eye.
That's what my AME did.

When you contact him, emphasize this is a consult, not a real or "live" exam. And make sure you don't fill out any FAA Paperwork or medxpress.faa.gov
I'll do. It looks the best way to have a clear view on how to proceed.

If you're moving to the Cypress area, does this mean you'll be going to ATP or American Flying at Hooks? Lots of AMEs in the area.
I have still not decided which school to attend. Most probably, I'll search for a good "traditional" school where I can study/fly while working. A full immersion solution like ATP looks not the best solution for me at the moment (lack of time and money)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back