2nd Call -- You're invited to the 13th Annual N40 H.O.P.S. Party

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
This is your official invitation to our annual HOPS Party in the North 40 during Oshkosh Airventure. ("HOPS" stands for "Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, and Student" -- the old rec.aviation Usenet groups that pre-date the modern internet.)

Mary and I are long-term EAAers, and this will be our 33rd consecutive Oshkosh Fly-In! As always, this party will be held at our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area on Wednesday during the week of Airventure. This year, that will be Wednesday, July 22, 2015.

If you're wondering what it's all about, here are some pix from each year's event. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741826.100000777116758&type=1&l=2c184c945a

It's laid back, fun, and allows all of us to put faces with the names we've seen on-line for years. Amelia's Landing Hotel provides the food, while "admission" is a six-pack of good beer from your hometown. Because we're from everywhere, this lets us all sample beers from all over the country. It's great fun!

How does one find this party, you ask, in a sea of aircraft? It's actually easy, with a bit of planning. Simply stop at the EAA booth at the entrance to the North 40, and either give them our name, or our N-number -- N14EG. They will vector you right in to our site.

Just remember that the EAA camping booth closes around 6 PM, so you should obtain the party location earlier in the day. (Someone usually posts it here as well.)

The party starts after the airshow ends -- we usually have a nice crowd watching the arrivals/departures that begin as soon as they reopen the airspace. Bring a chair if you can, as that's usually what runs out first.

If all else fails, look for the blood red RV-8A named "Amelia" in the North 40. It will probably be the only RV-8A out there! We also usually fly an enormously tall Texas flag over our site, so that should help to track us down, too.

Hope to see you there!

Would love to come. I'm flying in with a friend and we're both staying at Valley Christian School. Their last shuttle from the Airventure grounds is at 7pm. What are the odds I'd be able to get a ride to the school with someone if I stay past 7?

STAY past 7? It doesn't really get roaring until after that.

:yes:

Jim

I understand that. That's why I'm trying to find out about the odds of getting a ride out to my sleeping spot at Valley Christian later in the evening. If I can't get a ride, then not going to be much point of making the effort to come to this party. But if a ride will be pretty easy to get, then I will surely make an effort. This is my first time at AirVenture, so I don't know all the ins and outs of transportation.

I understand that. That's why I'm trying to find out about the odds of getting a ride out to my sleeping spot at Valley Christian later in the evening. If I can't get a ride, then not going to be much point of making the effort to come to this party. But if a ride will be pretty easy to get, then I will surely make an effort. This is my first time at AirVenture, so I don't know all the ins and outs of transportation.
Well, the off field, after hours transportation set up at OSH is one of its greatest (and only) weaknesses. It is very difficult to get anywhere after the tower shuts down and the shuttles stop running.

Which is why, of course, I urge everyone to stay on the field. I attended OSH for many years before I was able to fly in, and always stayed off the field with relatives and friends. Although fun, this was a huge mistake, in retrospect. The joy of Oshkosh is IMMERSION in aviation. When you stay on the field, living and breathing all aspects of aviation for a week, it's an entirely different experience than coming and going by car.

That said, there is usually someone who drives into the show, and walks out to the HOPS Party that could give you a lift. Hopefully someone here will pipe up.

If not, we are setting up God's Own Awning (GOA) this year, which should be suitable for sleeping under should you get stranded at our site.
:)

I understand that. That's why I'm trying to find out about the odds of getting a ride out to my sleeping spot at Valley Christian later in the evening.

The fundamental problem is that one of the byproducts of this event are folks who are legally prohibited from driving for at least 8 hours after the close of the event.

Jim

Jay, I agree - The only way now to make an IPA more hoppy is to get worse tasting hops.

Still planing on being there and the POA event at Camp Bacon.

I understand that. That's why I'm trying to find out about the odds of getting a ride out to my sleeping spot at Valley Christian later in the evening. If I can't get a ride, then not going to be much point of making the effort to come to this party.

I was able to upgrade to an AC room at UWO, so maybe give them a call for a room instead? They're within walking distance, so always a good choice.

Thinking about it... is anybody going to have some ice for this? I won't have any way to keep mine cold.
We usually have three (or more) coolers full of ice. (Ice is an every day purchase, at OSH.)

I'm flying the aluminum tube to MKE. Not sure if I'm checking a bag. If I do, I'll be sure to throw in some Atlanta beer. I'll be working the Pilatus display all week. Stop by and say hi.

Count me in with some home brew summer brew. Not too hoppy, and not 10% this year ;)

The challenge for me will be to not drink all the beer I bring from Seattle before Wednesday night. Otherwise I may have to make Oshkosh my adopted hometown!

Count me in with some home brew summer brew. Not too hoppy, and not 10% this year ;)
Whew! Thank goodness! ;-)

The problem with high alcohol content beer is that it limits my ability to sample more beers.

Hey Jay - we are planning on staying in the North 40 also... and will be arriving on Wed., so looking forward to stopping by and meeting everyone!

Me too. Ill be there all week staying in the North 40. Ill stop by and check out the RV!

Back