29th of 57, N19

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Aztec Municipal Airport (N19)

Aztec is one of those cities that no one in Albuquerque can point to on a map, much like Kirtland ("you mean the base?" or Lemitar). But its a really cool looking city, and other than Farmington, its also the only airport in the Northwest quadrant that sells fuel!

The fuel price wasn't too bad, I suppose, given the prices all over the place being as high as they are. We paid $4.25 a gallon, and had a bit of a debate over whether or not anyone was selling below $4.00 a gallon yet. He refused to accept that my home airport was still less than that.

This airport is apparantly the place that the Mesa Airlines Development Program takes all of their students, and they actually painted a movement area marking on the ramp at a non-towered airport. There is a sign by the fuel pump that says "For Fuel, Go to House." We thought the house meant the office, so we went there, but there was no body there.

A bit aways was a house, so we walked over there to learn that the gentleman we wanted was downtown at the moment, and would be back in about 15 minutes. I made a joke about Aztec having a downtown that she appeared to take offense to, so we walked back to the ramp to wait.

Mike, the manager, showed up on schedule about 15 minutes later to fuel the plane. He asked what we were doing up there, and I explained the quest.

"Oh yeah, I talked to you, you said you'd be up here! Welcome!" I had no idea who he was, and he had no idea where we'd met, but somehow we must have met in the past somewhere. He was a really cool guy, and real friendly and outgoing. He filled us up so that we wouldn't have to pay the stick-in-the-eye prices at Farmington.

The departure from Aztec is fairly simple, but you really cannot see the other thresholds from the departure point of any of the runways, so make sure you're on the radio, and look while rolling. This is gonna kill some people, I know it.

Videos
1) Landing, Runway 26

Pictures:
1) Juliet on ramp, office behind
2) The inside of the office
3) The comfy couch. Very comfy
4) Looking out over the airport, with Juliet

AZTEC MUNICIPAL QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 5877 Ft
Runways 8/26: 4300'x50ft, Ashpalt, in OK condition
Runways 4/22: 2850'x40ft, Asphalt, in OK condition
ATIS at FMN: 127.15
CTAF: 122.9

Nick's NOTAMS: Go to the house for fuel. Heavy student pilot traffic. No credit cards accepted, but checks are fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That would be Mike Arnold you met, the manager of Aztec Airport, and a super-nice guy. Unfortunately, he crashed his Cessna about 5 years ago, and had some major back surgery as a result, so he's not flying these days, but always a pleasure to go in there and talk to.

If you need to buy fuel here, I would call first, as they do run out on occasion, and note that they don't take credit cards, but checks are okay.

You can take a 10-15 minute walk down the hill to Oliver's restaurant, open everyday from 7am thru 9 pm, with decent diner-type food. The downtown, such as it is, is a few miles further, and the Aztec Ruins National Monument is close too, for a 2 hour historical experience. I'll be you could get a ride over there without a problem.

Jon

That's the guy (I didn't want to use his last name without permission :D)

I totally forgot to add the NOTAM about credit cards, that's added now.

Back