28th of 57, 1V0

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Navajo Lake Airport (1V0)

I tell you, having never been to Sedona, but hearing about it, and seeing it from a distance, I have to say that there is no way that it looks more like a battleship than Navajo Lake Airport. The video doesn't really do this airport justice. You really have to see this yourself to believe it.

Navajo Lake Airport is located right next to the Navajo Lake, and also right next to the San Juan River, where the best fishing in New Mexico happens. I did not have a chance to fish today, as I was too busy planning the next stop, but I did check out the river, and its nice.

We wanted to check the windsock, but when we arrived, all we saw was the mount for the windsock, the windsock itself must have blown away. So there is no wind telling device, you must rely on other means to determine wind condition. Wind was calm today.

There were gobs of people riding waterskis and jetskis and all sorts of water machines on the lake when we came in. It looks like a blast, and the weather was definitely right for it. One day, I will come back up here for a weekend, to do some fishing and watersports. This place is too cool not to do that at least.

The runway is brand new, as it the ramp. The asphalt is so new, that in some places it was sticky. The heat was causing some melting of the asphalt, but not enough to be this sticky. There is a gate to leave the ramp area, and you had better read the NOTAMs to get back in.

The lake looks like about a 10 minute walk from the airport, and the river about 5-7 minutes. Either way, you would be crazy not to consider this the ultimate fishing airport (next to Gastons of course). I cannot wait to come back!

Getting in and out of this airport is cake. There are no obstructions, because the ground just drops out beneath you on takeoff. The runway is plenty long enough even on High Density Altitude days like this day was. Climb rates were not good, but they don't have to be when the ground drops out from underneath you as quickly as it does here.

I now have 2 favorite airports in NM. Sierra Blanca (KSRR) and Navajo Lake (1V0). But would I find a new favorite in the airports to come today...

Videos
note: Here's how we did this video for those wondering. I flew the plane to landing from the right seat, while Chas held the camera. I don't have brakes on the right side, so we agreed before hand that the word "Brakes" was an exchange of controls, and he would take the brakes and steer the plane. I then grabbed the camera from his hands so that he could concentrate on the plane. Worked great, and very well oiled machineish.
1) Landing, Runway 24

Pictures:
1) The lake, and boats docked
2) More picture of the lake
3) Chas on the wing
4) The scenery
5) My baby, Juliet on the ramp

NAVAJO LAKE QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 6475 Ft
Runways 6/24: 4995'x60ft, Ashpalt, new, in excellent condition
CTAF: 122.9

Nick's NOTAMS: No fuel or services available. READ THE REAL NOTAM ON THE GATE! With the ground disappearing the way it does, I wouldn't be surprised to see some weird wind patterns right off the runway, so beware of that. Retroreflective lighting works, but this doesn't seem like a night airport, you know what I mean? Windsock is missing.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
SkyHog said:

NAVAJO LAKE QUICK FACTS:
Runways 6/24: 4995'x760ft,

Nick's NOTAMS: No fuel or services available.[ \quote]

WOW thats a wide runway! BTW do any of the airports in NM actually have any services or fuel? Seems like a lot of unattened strips. Are car rentals available? How would you get to town or the local attraction?

As always good post you'll knock this project out in no time.

AdamZ said:
SkyHog said:

NAVAJO LAKE QUICK FACTS:
Runways 6/24: 4995'x760ft,

Nick's NOTAMS: No fuel or services available.[ /quote]

WOW thats a wide runway! BTW do any of the airports in NM actually have any services or fuel? Seems like a lot of unattened strips. Are car rentals available? How would you get to town or the local attraction?

As always good post you'll knock this project out in no time.

Good catch! There is no way to the city, unless you have a bike or know someone in many cases. A lot of these airports would be better suited for a leg stretch, or a pee break, or just a flying break. Oh - and drug running. Great drug running airports :D

CENTERLINE, CENTERLINE, CENTERLINE!

Look for signs of wind on the water or blowing sand or dust swirls moving downwind. Even the heading of jet skis can be a sign because either they are running across the wind generated waves which you will see as a pounding of the watercraft across the waves or that they are running in the trough with a noticeable side action in the wake. Still, verify what you see with secondary visual cues.

I'm simply making an observation, I don't mean to be too critical. I really enjoy your reports, Nick.

Back