25th of 57, I58

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Santa Rosa Route 66 Airport (I58)

There is not a whole lot to say about this airport. I came in at night after being warned by the gentleman at Tucumcari that there was not likely to be anyone nearby. I landed on runway 8 and taxied to the ramp where there were no other planes and no terminal building that I could see.

I back taxied to the runway and departed, planning to do one more full stop for night currency and to shoot the video for this report. After the landing, as I was leaving to go back to Albuquerque, someone came on the radio and asked if there was anything he could do for me. I explained that I was originally looking for a hotel (I really was) and he offered me a ride if I came back in. I declined.

Also, upon departure, I saw that there is another ramp off of runways 1/19, so there could have actually been a place to park and a terminal building, but unfortunately, there was no sign of life there either. The city of Santa Rosa is right next to the airport, across I40, and there are plenty of restaurants to choose from should one want to make this a stopover for fuel. I should point out that credit cards are not accepted for fuel.

Sorry this report sucks. It was late, and I was fatigued, and a bit frustrated that it took so long for someone to come on the radio. I understand that it was late, and I don't expect someone there all night long, so I don't know why it frustrated me this badly.e just flew around

Videos
1) Landing, Runway 8

SANTA ROSA ROUTE 66 QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 4790 Ft
Runways 1/19: 5000'x75ft, Asphalt in fair condition
Runways 8/26: 4400'x50ft, Asphalt with weeds growing through cracks
CTAF: 122.8

Nick's NOTAMS: No credit cards accepted for fuel. If arriving at night, park and wait, someone will come to help you.

You need to go back Nick. Just off the interstate across from the motel 6 is the best tex/mex you will ever have. LITTLE hole in the wall place, but it is worth the trip.

Mark B.

Back