24th of 57, KTCC

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Tucumcari Municipal Airport (KTCC)

After a long, long flight home from Gastons, I figured it'd be nice to land at the first airport along the eastern edge of New Mexico to take a break and check it out. My dog certainly needed a break, as he had started whining, and I know what that means (now).

Tucumcari is a neat airport. With a VOR on field, its also impossible to not find. There are two runways and obviously, of the 2, 3/21 is the preferred calm wind runway since its wider and longer and has a direct taxiway to the ramp. Because of the wind, I chose to land on 8/26, which is fine, but much shorter and you have to taxi for a while to get to the ramp.

The FBO was closed when I was here, but it looked really impressive from walking through. There is a soda machine and computer available inside, and there is a really nice lounge area as well. The bathrooms are well kept and after about 20 minutes, the airport manager came through to check to see if I needed anything. He was really nice, and informed me that the fuel price was $4.10 a gallon.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time here, since it was starting to get dark and I needed to get home, but I'd say the city is not anywhere near walking distance from the airport. There is no courtesy car available that I saw, but the manager did offer me a ride into town if I wanted one.

There is a really neat area called the fuel circle where you park if you want fuel. Its big enough for multiple planes to park and they can all get fuel. Awesome idea!

Overall, this is a really good place to plan a cross country stop, or even as a destination provided you can find a way into town. I fully endorse this airport.

Pictures
1) The Fuel Circle
2) The nice Seating area
3) Parked on the ramp in front of the terminal
4) On the ramp, Dog tied to Plane
5) Piper, Juliet and the storm we just flew around

Videos
1) Landing, Runway 8

TUCUMCARI QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 4065 Ft
Runways 3/21: 7102'x100ft, Asphalt in good condition
Runways 8/26: 4599'x50ft, Asphalt in great condition (repaved)
ASOS: 119.275
CTAF: 122.95

Nick's NOTAMS: I can't explain it, but runway 8/26 looks much narrower than 50 feet. For fuel, park at fuel circle

Attachments

• Fuel Circle.jpg
    Fuel Circle.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Inside the Terminal.jpg
    Inside the Terminal.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Parked on Ramp, KTCC.jpg
    Parked on Ramp, KTCC.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Parked on Ramp with Piper, KTCC.jpg
    Parked on Ramp with Piper, KTCC.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Ramp with Piper and Storms.jpg
    Ramp with Piper and Storms.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
SkyHog said:
There is a really neat area called the fuel circle where you park if you want fuel. Its big enough for multiple planes to park and they can all get fuel. Awesome idea!

I saw an airport that had something like this, quite a bit bigger, with a big canopy overhead to boot. It was the best-looking self-serve place I've ever seen for sure. Wish I could remember where it was! :rolleyes:

Definitely a cool idea.

SkyHog said:
Tucumcari Municipal Airport (KTCC)

After a long, long flight home from Gastons, I figured it'd be nice to land at the first airport along the eastern edge of New Mexico to take a break and check it out. My dog certainly needed a break, as he had started whining, and I know what that means (now).

Tucumcari is a neat airport. With a VOR on field, its also impossible to not find. There are two runways and obviously, of the 2, 3/21 is the preferred calm wind runway since its wider and longer and has a direct taxiway to the ramp. Because of the wind, I chose to land on 8/26, which is fine, but much shorter and you have to taxi for a while to get to the ramp.

The FBO was closed when I was here, but it looked really impressive from walking through. There is a soda machine and computer available inside, and there is a really nice lounge area as well. The bathrooms are well kept and after about 20 minutes, the airport manager came through to check to see if I needed anything. He was really nice, and informed me that the fuel price was $4.10 a gallon.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time here, since it was starting to get dark and I needed to get home, but I'd say the city is not anywhere near walking distance from the airport. There is no courtesy car available that I saw, but the manager did offer me a ride into town if I wanted one.

Overall, this is a really good place to plan a cross country stop, or even as a destination provided you can find a way into town. I fully endorse this airport.

Pictures
1) The Fuel Circle
2) The nice Seating area
3) Parked on the ramp in front of the terminal
4) On the ramp, Dog tied to Plane
5) Piper, Juliet and the storm we just flew around

Videos
1) Landing, Runway 8

TUCUMCARI QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 4065 Ft
Runways 3/21: 7102'x100ft, Asphalt in good condition
Runways 8/26: 4599'x50ft, Asphalt in great condition (repaved)
ASOS: 119.275
CTAF: 122.95

Nick's NOTAMS: I can't explain it, but runway 8/26 looks much narrower than 50 feet. For fuel, park at fuel circle

Nice job !

That camera angle is a little odd tho - makes it look like you were dragging it in all the way. Nice video tho - maybe the next bonus.... ;)

SJP said:
Nice job !

That camera angle is a little odd tho - makes it look like you were dragging it in all the way. Nice video tho - maybe the next bonus.... ;)

I was dragging it in the whole way. It was no where near my best landing, and probably closer to my worst, but I was tired, this was after 8 hours of flying for the day.

So you plopped it in a little, you also made the first turn-off, and it appears you did it without touching the brakes.

Looked good to me!

SkyHog said:
I was dragging it in the whole way. It was no where near my best landing, and probably closer to my worst, but I was tired, this was after 8 hours of flying for the day.

Heck - I wish my good landings were as nice as that one turned out. Should have seen the one I bounced at D98 over the weekend !

That picture of the dog tied to the plane reminds me of one of the vacation movies, where they tied the dog to the bumper and forgot about it.

Michael said:
That picture of the dog tied to the plane reminds me of one of the vacation movies, where they tied the dog to the bumper and forgot about it.
I'm waiting until Piper gets big enough to drag the plane across the ramp...

Back