210C shredded Oceana Michigan 7/18/2022

Three spheres..
The sphere of control, of influence and of concern.

at most this is the sphere of concern and nothing there should make you angry.
disagree a bit. the public regard for GA is based almost exclusively on accidents, having some clown crash into a pedestrian, a house, kill a passenger, etc... because they can't follow basic common sense reflects poorly on the rest of us. we can't control it, but we can all influence good behavior by expecting sensible decision making from ourselves and from the pilots we know & interact with

disagree a bit. the public regard for GA is based almost exclusively on accidents, having some clown crash into a pedestrian, a house, kill a passenger, etc... because they can't follow basic common sense reflects poorly on the rest of us. we can't control it, but we can all influence good behavior by expecting sensible decision making from ourselves and from the pilots we know & interact with
But you have no control or influence on 99.99 percent of the ga community. Getting angry is a waste.

What are any of the VMC to IMC accident pilots thinking? Same old story. Unfortunately you can't fix stupid...

Correct. Perhaps we need to start shaming it, instead. Maybe we could talk to the folks who bring us the Darwin Awards and see about an Aviation category. Clearly, there would be more than enough entrants.

Correct. Perhaps we need to start shaming it, instead. Maybe we could talk to the folks who bring us the Darwin Awards and see about an Aviation category. Clearly, there would be more than enough entrants.

For what purpose? Even the current ACS covers this:

The applicant demonstrates the ability to identify, assess and mitigate risks, encompassing:
Instrument flying hazards to include failure to maintain VFR

Again, you can't fix stupid...

so is posting about it...so why are you doing it?

200.gif

so is posting about it...so why are you doing it?
Because the only reason to be here is for conversation with other pilots. I’m having a conversation. If you only want to talk to people that agree with you then you’ll be disappointed with POA. No requirement for you to agree with me. Be angry.

I’ve learned quite a bit from the members here over the years I’ve been a member.

Because the only reason to be here is for conversation with other pilots. I’m having a conversation. If you only want to talk to people that agree with you then you’ll be disappointed with POA. No requirement for you to agree with me. Be angry.

I’ve learned quite a bit from the members here over the years I’ve been a member.

Still learning...not perfect. glad to learn from others. wish others would think the same way

There’s a difference between some of the inadvertent VMC into IMC that occurs and sometimes it’s just sudden changes in weather. This accident does make me angry as well because it’s obviously someone who was arrogant as hell and likely (as someone else mentioned) probably someone who did it before and felt he knew more than anyone else and “didn’t need no stink’n IFR rating to prove it.”The fact that he killed others being an arrogant prick is what is maddening. Anti-authority; macho; know it all.

I was angry because of what it presents to the general public about GA - as though all we GA pilots are a wild careless bunch, putting our and other's lives at risk by flying these 'dangerous little airplanes'.

I was angry because of what it presents to the general public about GA - as though all we GA pilots are a wild careless bunch, putting our and other's lives at risk by flying these 'dangerous little airplanes'.
that's my entire point. one bad apple...

Have to agree with the get angry crowd. Same thing when law enforcement screw up. Reflects on all. The public fixates on it and paints with a very wide brush. The public knows very little about aviation beyond what is in the media or Hollywood.

For what purpose? Even the current ACS covers this:

The applicant demonstrates the ability to identify, assess and mitigate risks, encompassing:
Instrument flying hazards to include failure to maintain VFR

Again, you can't fix stupid...

You’re right. You can’t fix stupid, but you’re missing the point.

Shaming the dead guy does no good.

But if you see or hear a young (or maybe not so young, but inexperienced) pilot saying or doing something stupid, don’t just walk away shaking your head.

Whether you call them on it quietly or publicly flay them (full-on shaming) will depend on the severity and the frequency of their stupidity, but none of us should just let it slide.

If someone knew that this guy flew stupid and called him on it, quietly, the first time, there might not have been a second time.

What “they” do in the air does, indeed, affect us all. Generally, only indirectly through bad PR. But it could directly affect each of us, or some other innocent pilot or passenger.

Don’t expect the FAR’s to make an impact on stupid. Some people just need more persuasion. Peer pressure can be a powerful influence.

You’re right. You can’t fix stupid, but you’re missing the point.

Shaming the dead guy does no good.

But if you see or hear a young (or maybe not so young, but inexperienced) pilot saying or doing something stupid, don’t just walk away shaking your head.

Whether you call them on it quietly or publicly flay them (full-on shaming) will depend on the severity and the frequency of their stupidity, but none of us should just let it slide.

If someone knew that this guy flew stupid and called him on it, quietly, the first time, there might not have been a second time.

What “they” do in the air does, indeed, affect us all. Generally, only indirectly through bad PR. But it could directly affect each of us, or some other innocent pilot or passenger.

Don’t expect the FAR’s to make an impact on stupid. Some people just need more persuasion. Peer pressure can be a powerful influence.

Good luck in your quest...

Good luck in your quest...

I’m not on a quest for anything. I’m too old for that ****.

We constantly read rants about how angry or upset or butt-hurt someone or another POA member is because of what Johnny or Darlene did in their airplane.

Just another anonymous (and, safe, for the poster) expression of great umbrage designed to show concern for a large and growing problem in GA. But totally useless.

I’m at the long end of my flying career. I do not run around playing “nanny-nanny boo-boo, I know more than you do”. If I’m asked for my opinion, I’ll engage.

Unless someone is saying or doing something so stupid that it’ll eventually hurt them or me or someone else. Then I speak up. I don’t hide behind a post in a website hoping the offending member (yes, it’s a double entendre) sees and comprehends. I talk to that pilot and explain why my experience tells me that what they’re saying or about to do is not a life-affirming course of action.

Not a quest. A simple statement. If we see a less experienced pilot who is about to make one of the same mistakes we’ve made at some point in our past, talk to them. Simply, and most times, quietly. But directly, not by redirecting electrons around on a website. That’s just useless palaver.

I’m not on a quest for anything. I’m too old for that ****.

We constantly read rants about how angry or upset or butt-hurt someone or another POA member is because of what Johnny or Darlene did in their airplane.

Just another anonymous (and, safe, for the poster) expression of great umbrage designed to show concern for a large and growing problem in GA. But totally useless.

I’m at the long end of my flying career. I do not run around playing “nanny-nanny boo-boo, I know more than you do”. If I’m asked for my opinion, I’ll engage.

Unless someone is saying or doing something so stupid that it’ll eventually hurt them or me or someone else. Then I speak up. I don’t hide behind a post in a website hoping the offending member (yes, it’s a double entendre) sees and comprehends. I talk to that pilot and explain why my experience tells me that what they’re saying or about to do is not a life-affirming course of action.

Not a quest. A simple statement. If we see a less experienced pilot who is about to make one of the same mistakes we’ve made at some point in our past, talk to them. Simply, and most times, quietly. But directly, not by redirecting electrons around on a website. That’s just useless palaver.
Be prepared to be ignored.
The stupid will often kill themselves after you call them out. Have that T-shirt.

Not discouraging you, speaking up is appropriate, just understand you may be ignored.

Maybe we can design a flag that people can "fly" on their profile when they are angry. I mean it works for the black square on twitter, and it ended the war in Ukraine when everyone put up the Ukrainian flag also.

Be prepared to be ignored.
The stupid will often kill themselves after you call them out. Have that T-shirt.

Not discouraging you, speaking up is appropriate, just understand you may be ignored.

born ready.

Been pushing that boulder for 46 years.

No illusions.

Maybe we can design a flag that people can "fly" on their profile when they are angry. I mean it works for the black square on twitter, and it ended the war in Ukraine when everyone put up the Ukrainian flag also.

Yes. That’s certain to work. Just like those little crossed ribbons everyone wears for various causes. Tremendously effective, those.

When the weather is too bad to go IFR, go VFR.

Back