20N kingston ulster pirep

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
I made another "mission" flight up to NY last weekend to visit my family. I grew up about 10 minutes up the road from 20N but had never been there, so the time had come.

The approach over the river and bridge was fun. The folks there were helpful; they waived the $15 fee with a purchase of either fuel or anything from the pilot shop (which I didn't know they had), so I got some gas. They also have a superawos. There's a deli within walking distance, but we didn't go there. They started working on a new building a couple of months ago, looks like it will be nice when it's done.

http://tinyurl.com/kjyo-20n

I made another "mission" flight up to NY last weekend to visit my family. I grew up about 10 minutes up the road from 20N but had never been there, so the time had come.

The approach over the river and bridge was fun. The folks there were helpful; they waived the $15 fee with a purchase of either fuel or anything from the pilot shop (which I didn't know they had), so I got some gas. They also have a superawos. There's a deli within walking distance, but we didn't go there. They started working on a new building a couple of months ago, looks like it will be nice when it's done.

http://tinyurl.com/kjyo-20n

Love 20N, awesome little field, it was the first field I visited after getting my PPL.

There's a deli within walking distance, but we didn't go there.

I flew up again yesterday, we went to the deli this time, it was great.

I used to go in there in a PC12, it was always interesting coming over that bridge and seeing the people in cars looking up at us.

Leveled up this weekend. I repeated the mission flight to 20N, but this time I took my 7yo along to visit his grandparents. Flew up Saturday, flew back Sunday.

Two years ago, an iPad was required inflight entertainment equipment for him. This time, we traveled light, and never ran out of stuff to talk about.

Right by Rhinebeck. Ever take your kid to see the airshow there? We took ours years ago and enjoyed it very much. Recommended, assuming they're still doing it.

I've never been, neither has he. Been meaning to go to Flying Circus, too...

I have it in mind I'd like to see an airshow at Rhinebeck Aerodrome. Would 20N be the logical choice then I assume? Is the experience worth it?

Right by Rhinebeck. Ever take your kid to see the airshow there? We took ours years ago and enjoyed it very much. Recommended, assuming they're still doing it.
They are still doing it according to the website, every weekend. Would love a recent pirep from someone who's been.

Was there last weekend.

Rhinebeck has been fantastic this year. They finished a Spirit of St. Louis replica that is absolutely perfect. And they fly it on the Saturday show if the winds are favorable. It’s better than ever. I think EVERY pilot should make the pilgrimage to Rhinebeck to see the most unique show in the country. Where else will you see an original 1909 Bleriot fly every weekend. And a Jenny. And so much more...

Rhinebeck is great, I've been there many times, usually flying in (you can fly in, but you have to talk to Clay Hammond, their chief pilot, for permission and be comfortable with a short rough field). Last time I went there (last fall) I stopped at 20N for gas first so I could get home to CT nonstop after the show.

In years past I used to take my Dad there in my T-Craft early in the morning just to hang out and help push the planes out of the hangars, then leave before the show closed the field for the afternoon.

If you're not comfortable flying in, Sky Park (46N) is closer and I think you can get a taxi or uber to the Aerodrome, but there's no gas at 46N.

The last time I was at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, the Anasazi (sp?) engine on the Bleriot had worn out so that it could fast taxi but not quite fly.

Have they overhauled it? And how do they find parts for a 120+/- year old engine?

-Skip

The last time I was at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, the Anasazi (sp?) engine on the Bleriot had worn out so that it could fast taxi but not quite fly.

Have they overhauled it? And how do they find parts for a 120+/- year old engine?

-Skip
I’ve seen it fly last year. Currently they are recovering the airplane now. But they have a Taube replica and a Bristol F.2 that’s new to the collection this year.

Back